5,118 votesKaren L. commented
Your tech recommended positing this here even though I am a Windows 10 user. We have lost the ability to search for the complete list of contacts in Outlook. Some are returned, some not. This is my experience:
I was testing a bit more and I think the problem has to include how the search is working. I decided to clean up my contacts. I would delete a few, then get out of Outlook to be sure that there was no problem deleting too many at a time. With the complete list of contacts showing and sorted by “last name, first”, I used the search at the top right of the LIST and searched for one of the names that had been deleted. IT CAME BACK with all information. Yet, when I looked for it in the complete list, it was not there.
The opposite is true. If I look for a contact that is definitely in the LIST, I cannot depend on whether the contact will be returned in a search. If I delete a contact and re-add it, the contact appears on the LIST, but is not returned by the search at the top of the LIST.
This may be a similar problem that we have had with the “feature” that keeps most used email addresses. If we have not used one in a while, we have to go to the contacts list to get it.
Clearly, the list (as kept in a database?) is not the same as the lists for the searches. I believe the problem lies in that area.Karen L. commented
I have used various versions of Office for many, many years. Until just recently, I was able to use my iCloud contacts just fine. Now the search only brings back a partial list of contacts. I even deleted a contact and re-entered it within Outlook. The search still did not find it. A while ago when Outlook was updated there were many functions that were lost. I worked with a MS tech for over a week to help test through the problems. We cannot go through this again. Mind you, all of the contacts are stored in the Outlook [database?] If I take the time to scroll down through the entire list, every contact is there. But, when I use one of the searches, the specific contact may or may not be returned. Clearly some code is stepping on a critical module. This must be resolved and quickly. I understand that programming is complex, but real usability testing would have made this defect clear prior to implementation of the update. I would be happy to work with someone to test this as this must be resolved. I am on Office 365 desktop with Windows 10 and the latest updates. And, I recently deleted the connection with iCloud and re-established it. The problem still exists. This does not appear to be a synch problem with iCloud. There is something that prevents the searches from seeing the entire list of contacts. PLEASE FIX THIS!