619 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback.
In the new OWA calendar experience, you can open another person’s calendar to clicking on the “Import calendar” link in the left panel and in the dialog, click on the “Import from directory” option. This will let your search and open another person’s calendar.

178 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's hard to navigate, and an important calendar's contents are all lost/unable to view.

• Palmer, Shane D [ITSYS] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The terminology for adding a calendar in "the New Outlook" has got to change. After many failed attemps at figuring out how to add a calendar over the last 6 months, I finally decided to try to figure it out and it took me an hour of reading the help and comments in this post to figure out how to open another user's calendar.

To help those that come here trying to figure out how to do it, here are the instructions that Microsoft should provide. Click on "Import calendar" in the sidebar under the mini calendar, then select "From directory", then type the user's name, then click on their icon from the search results drop-down list, then click Add. Unfortunately, you have no control over which calendar group to add it to.

Microsoft has taken the terminology of "Open calendar" and changed it to "Import calendar". Being an IT admin for over 20 years, import has always meant to permanently add something to your current document. Please look up the definition of import. Simply Google "define import" and you will find the third definition for the verb is: "COMPUTING transfer (data) into a file or document." Opening a shared calendar is not transferring data into my document (a.k.a my calendar). Open has always meant open another file for viewing and/or editing. So putting the Open shared calendar function under "Import calendar" is very confusing (even to a veteran IT admin). At the very least it should be moved under the "Add calendar" option under the mini calendar, because I kept clicking on that many times thinking that is where I should go. But Microsoft's strange ideas are that creating a new calendar should be called "Add calendar" and that opening a calendar should be called "Import calendar". Not to mention, in addition to not matching the terminology of the old web client, it doesn't match the terminology of the native Windows and Mac clients. How about going back to the good old terminology of New and Open which EVERYBODY understands.

Before figuring this out I was always switching back to the old Outlook view, opening a calendar the easy way, by right-clicking on the calendar group I wanted to add it to and selecting open calendar which gave you a simple dialog of From Directory or From Internet, with a search field to type in.

Also, as alluded to by this feature request, and many other comments, if you are going to radically change an interface like this and have people beta test it, you need to have the help documentation updated for the new interface.

I am a designated person on my bosses calendar however when I am in the new version it will not let me add items to his calendar. I have to switch back to the old version in order to add appointments.

• Alexa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I schedule calendars for other people, and I am used to clicking into their calendar and being able to send an invite from that person. In the new outlook experience, I can only seem to send calendar invites from my own calendar.

• Daphne commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am constantly having to switch back and forth to the Old Outlook to edit calendars for which I am the delegate. Beyond viewing the delegated calendar, I have no functionality in the New Outlook.

Our school shares calendars for booking rooms and they all have permission to do so. In the new Outlook the event booked will not share/show in the correct calendar - it only saves it in "my calendar". This has caused problems and I have encouraged everyone not to use the new Outlook

I need to be able to make adjustments to my boss's calendar, under the new Office 365 I am unable to do anything with his calendar which is what he pays me to do, among other things. This needs to be fixed ASAP.

• Bryan Hirsch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

BUG: The New Outlook makes it impossible for me to "open" my colleagues' calendars. I can add new calendars, but they all seem to be new personal calendars. Switching back to the old Outlook, I right click on other calendars and I can "open" someone else's calendar.

How can I send out invitations out of the calendar of my boss and not on my behalf (Calender of my boos already shared)?
    How can I split the view if I have opened two or more agendas?

PROBLEM: Lost access to the scheduling on one of the calendars I am proxy for. Please help me fix this. When I switch back to the old view it allows me to read/write on the calendar.

In the old look of Calendar, I can use another agenda than my own to make an appointment. I have the rights, but it's not possible in the new. I cannot find the option to do so in the new Calender.

Allow to schedule and have meetings be sent from calendar, that I manage. Old outlook web allows it. New outlook web does not allow it.

• Jordan Tucker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can't figure out how to add a shared calendar (main calendar of a shared mailbox). Maybe because it's hidden in the Address Book. There should be a way to add it anyway.

• Daisuke Arai commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The previous version was easy to add another person's calendar, but the new version is difficult to do so. Also when adding it, it usually doesn't read the directory correctly.

• Megan Fowler commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want to be able to easily add a new person's calendar to my own to see their schedule...it's difficult to figure out how to do that the way things are right now. I would expect to be able to do "new" under the "people's calendar" section, and then have a dialog with a list of people in my organization to choose from.

I can not add an appointment in a calendar of a colleague in the new view of outlook calendar online. When I switch back to the old view, i can do it, but in the new view, it acts like i do not have the rights to add an appointment in his calendar.

• Kemp, Kimberly B (Kim) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When viewing others' calendars, the details are not provided even when the other person's entries are not private and their calendar has no limitations for viewers. It also limits the ability to update calendar entries for a person who has provided delegation access to their calendar. I am forced to switch back to the previous view option in order to accomplish several tasks. There are also two many drop downs for accomplishing what you used to do in a quick check box when creating new or updating existing calendar entries -- setting time as "free" on all-day events, marking an entry "private", etc.

The capabilities in the new view option are just too limited to provide any real value at this point in time and in my opinion, is not ready for prime-time.

Feedback and Knowledge Base