OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Outlook on the web?

No Shared mailboxes with new Outlook

I used share mailboxes a lot as a small business. With the new outlook, I was no longer able to switch to my shared mailboxes. I immediately switched back. This needs to be fixed.

275 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Chris Edwards shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi there – I just wanted to provide an update and give some more information about the Shared Mailboxes.

First the easiest solution is to click on the Picture/Initials in the top right hand corner (me card) and select Open Mailbox. This way you can open the full mailbox in another tab.

The second option, you can right click on the Folders word in the left pane (folder list). From here select Add Shared Folder.

Hope this helps!

Thanks

David Los

69 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Daniel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This used to work. The option to open another mailbox has recently (in the last week) vanished meaning I have to roll back to use the old outlook web client if I want to read anything from another mailbox. A glitch/bug I hope. If not a BIG backward step

• Patrick Kane commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

users couldnt move mails between folders in a shared mailbox unless they opened the mailbox in a new tab .issues with "your request cant be completed messages " etc like others have reported .Shared mailbox functionality seems to have gone backwards -generating a lot of calls .need this to be fixed please

• Christopher Baldwin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As a few others have commented, there seems to be problems with the "Add Shared Folder" option; in a fresh session, existing shared mailboxes can't be opened and an error message appears, and no new mailboxes can be added.

Temporarily switching to the old OWA view to add new mailboxes, or just quickly opening folders for existing ones, then switching back to the new OWA view seems to work around the issue.

• Yaakov commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Unable to open shared mailbox
    In the old mailbox you could click on the Picture/Initials in the top right hand corner (me card) and select Open Mailbox. This way you can open the full mailbox in another tab. However when you do the search in the new mail view it does not find shared mail boxes anymore

• Dan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Make accessing shared mailboxes more accessible and intuitive. The new Outlook look hides the function. It was easy in the old one.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

SOLUTION!!!: I think some of you guys are really daft! You keep asking the same question and atleast 10 people have answered this already. Right click on "Folders" and expand "Folders"... It's all right there...

• Espen Venli commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have some shared mailboxes. A few of them cant be opened (open other mailbox) in new mode, but can still be opened when switched back to old mode. Should be fixed before going live.

It would be great if they all come up in the side pane like outlook desktop.

There are four shared mailboxes on the left hand side, but only 3 show up under the shared top right. No way to add the fourth.

• Laurie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

how do i access a secondary/shared mailbox from here? especially to set away messages! I need to be able to access more than one mailbox if i am going to use the cloud based service.

Adding a shared mailbox to the view is possible in the "old" view by right clicking on the user name and select the option: Add Shared folder. In the new look the option is not available! Or it might not be as easily as before.
    Please fix that

• Joyce commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Need to fine the shared email addresses that I use every day. Can not work without those. Need to fix asap

I thought this had been fixed however it has not and it is slowing down work progress. Please fix this asap.

The new interface doesn't show your Name in the list on the left so I can't right click and add additional shared mailboxes to my list.

• Britt Vangen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In the old view, I can add a shared mailbok by right-clicking my account name and choose "Ad a shared folder". In the new view, the account name is missing. We atre using company, department and function shared mailboxes. If they are to be followed up, we need to see them in one view - not in another tab.

• Elijah commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When trying to add a shared folder/shared email I get a "Your request can't be completed..." message. In the new Outlook I get a similar message when I try to "Open another mailbox". It's been very difficult to access the shared mailboxes. Very frustrating.

• Martin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

On EDGE

User A is loged on, User B has given user A editor permission to their Inbox.

Shared files have been added by right click on folders/user A - add shared folder.

With both versions of Outlook - user B name appears as a separate name at same level as original account.

On new version - click on on user B - "Can't complete request -
    you might not have permission to complete this action"

On old version - click on user B - can see Inbox and access e-mails.

On further testing - other shared mailboxes that are shared with DEFAULT as editor appear to work with the new version.

• Martin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

On EDGE

User A is loged on, User B has given user A editor permission to their Inbox.

Shared files have been added by right click on folders/user A - add shared folder.

With both versions of Outlook - user B name appears as a separate name at same level as original account.

On new version - click on on user B - "Can't complete request -
    you might not have permission to complete this action"

On old version - click on user B - can see Inbox and access e-mails.

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base