OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Outlook on the web?

Introducing categories in the search function

Good idea that search function is now extended to keyword. However, if you just want to search for e.g. a sender, you get too many results, because all mails will be listed where the sender's name mentioned in the text. Would be easier, if you introduce search categories, like:
- from
- to
- cc
- bcc
- subject
- keyword

Other users may have further ideas.

22 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

László shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • x.hamidi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Searching a category only returns the 250 latest elements, which is insufficient when searching through any high-traffic category.
    Please increase this limit.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The search feature in the Outlook web version has always been mediocre, but the new search seems to only know how to deal with senders' names. When I type a keyword, even if it's the name of the sender, the interface says "Searching" and then it says it can't find any records matching that. When I switch back to Classic and search for the same thing, I get a string of records (although Classic search has always been cluttered with too many irrelevant returns, at least it will give you the one email you're looking for in amongst the clutter.

• Barry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Or even if you can make the search require multiple terms to come back with a hit, e.g. a search for "John+Smith" only returning items with both John and Smith, instead of James Smith or John Doe, while "John Smith" allows for a more generic search for either term. So if I need to find a certain email, I could search for John+Smith+travel to find only where John Smith's travel was discussed.

Feedback and Knowledge Base