OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Outlook on the web?

I would like to be able to disable Expressions. I turned off the beta solely because I can't disable the expressions. Let me know when

I would like to be able to disable Expressions. I turned off the beta solely because I can't disable the expressions. Let me know when you have the feature added and I'll re-join the beta. Thanks.

292 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Ryan Holbrook shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

165 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Get rid of them or at least have an option to turn them off. Very unprofessional looking.

• lee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I DONT LIKE THE EXPRESSIONS THAT KEEP POPPING UP EVERY TIME I TYPE!

• Jackson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm tired of fighting with your garbage links to add flare to your e mail. This is a business application and I don't need to send everyone confetti every time I want to say well done.

• Julio commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Expressions, they should have an on/off switch. The Search take some time to come up with results. The whole email browsing is a little slow

• UNMIT commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There is a problem, when you type the word "Thank you" it got highlighted automatically.

Utterly annoying emoji suggestions behavior + preview of links (twice!) + all of the sudden weird recognition behavior of my most used contact. Makes me want to move away

• Some Guy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Joey Khoury's solution worked great for me, reposting for visibility:

Click on the gear at top-right
    Select View All Outlook Settings
    Select Compose and Reply
    Scroll down to Quick Suggestions
    Uncheck Use my browser location to find places near me.

-----

I already had "use my browser location" unchecked so I also unchecked the boxes by "joyful animations", "offer suggestions based on keywords in my messages", and "suggested replies". And one of those three did the trick.!

I don't like how it highlights certain text and if I need to edit the word, it brings up a meme screen. Very distracting and time consuming on a work account.

Expressions are the worst idea ever. Fire the person that decided to add them and fire him twice if he had the idea to make it the default.

• Mary L commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

typed in the word 'thanks' - turns into an unwanted, stupid expression.

Calling it an expression is a misnomer - should be called a major annoyance.

Who thinks up this garbage must be trying to impress his/her boss! Does not impress a professional, adult user.

Suggestion: get rid of it.

• Ben commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There needs to be someway to turn off the text to emoticon suggestion. Its really disruptive when typing an email. It makes you think there is a grammar, spelling or format issue in your message. I admit I'm 50yo but in my opinion they are also unprofessional in a work email.

• Manuel Carpio commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

stop suggesting GIF ideas every time one writes good morning, or thanks, or thank you. It's really annoying
    It should be the default, instead it should be an option that can select if one wants.

These expressions that play when people send emails with works like 'congratulations' or 'thanks' are very unprofessional.

• Kate B commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The new compose message features are annoying and distracting, which make work inefficient. I cannot stand the fact that when I begin typing or highlight a phrase I've already typed to edit my working that the little font box pops up. Clicking it there rather than at the bottom of the message is saving no one any meaningful time and it prevents me from seeing part of my previous text that I need to assess what a better word choice would be. I also find the highlighting of words to add gifs/memes instead of the text is a needless distraction as well, especially for professional messages. I've reverted to the old Outlook because the new features make email more of a hassle than it already is.

When I type "thanks", I I have a link automatically inserted to a GIF, very annoying as I did not ask for it. So I switched back to the "old

• Laura Jones commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The "expressions" function keeps popping up and interrupting me when I'm in the middle of writing an email, and use one of the trigger words, like "thanks"!
    I want to turn it off, but I don't know how.
    It has become quite a nuisance and wastes valuable time.

New expressions feature is extremely glitchy on IOS. Had to restart my page multiple times because I wrote "Thanks."

• Nick Collins commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When typing and an "Please" was typed the screen re-drew and there was lots of window movement that made it difficult to continue so switch back to classic.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 8 9

Feedback and Knowledge Base