OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Outlook on the web?

I would like to be able to disable Expressions. I turned off the beta solely because I can't disable the expressions. Let me know when

I would like to be able to disable Expressions. I turned off the beta solely because I can't disable the expressions. Let me know when you have the feature added and I'll re-join the beta. Thanks.

328 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Ryan Holbrook shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

205 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Whenever I type ":" followed by a newline, a smiley is inserted. I find this to be quite annoying. Please add an option to disable this feature.

Click the wheel > click View all Outlook settings > select Compose and Reply > scroll to Quick Suggestions > uncheck the box "Offer suggestions based on keywords based on my messages" > then refresh the page

While drafting an email words would be highlighted and spacing would not look right.

I have clicked the highlighted section and went to expressions. Those are fun for texting and social media, not drafting a professional email.

• RM commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What Philip noted on May 22 on how to remove that feature worked for me --
    Thank God. I hated dealing with the blue text box around "thank you"s and other 'helpful' [suggestions.

This doesn't work. Also FYI, the expressions "feature" breaks the layout of emails when using Outlook.com in Internet Explorer 11, which is so ironic, and so "Microsoft". Thanks for a broken feature that nobody wanted anyway.

The joyful animations feature is childish and absolutely ridiculous. It is even more ridiculous that this is a default option which requires one to manually turn off.

• Stephanie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I liked the new Outlook, but I didn't know if every time I said "thank you" or "thanks" it was sending some kind of confetti thing to the person receiving the message. I want my emails to look professional so this feature was not always welcome. I looked for a way to turn it off, but couldn't find anything. Instead, I just reworded my emails so it didn't say "thank you." This is probably easily fixed, but I am not tech savvy. Otherwise, everything the new Outlook offered was great.

• Michala commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Stop adding animations to phrases like thank you and welcome. I changed it under the gear and it still happens. Just Stop! I use outlook as a professional email address. I do not need confetti blasting off for saying thank you (which is included in every email I send) If I wanted to add cute things to something I will. I followed the steps listed online in the help forum to stop the animations

>click gear
    >click View all outlook settings
    >click Compose and reply
    >uncheck the box for "Joyful Animations"
    >click save

nothing changes. I still have confetti flying all over the place. This needs to stop.

You should include, when right clicking on the highlighted words, the option to remove suggested reaction. It's very very unprofessional and I don't want to accidentally send an inappropriate reaction or gif in a professional email.

• Gabriel Botkins commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When I send an apology to a colleague, I don't need the word apologize highlighted in blue as if I've written a contraction or misspelled it. I don't need an expressions panel. I'm not going to send an animated .gif to my boss or a client. I'm a professional, not a high school dropout incapable of expressing my feelings without moving cartoons repeating the one word that I just typed.

• Sally commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

NOT COMPLETED. Please make it a setting to disable/enable the expressions feature. This is ridiculous that you don't have. Developers can't provide a quick checkbox? Listen to your customers please. Just makes you look bad.

Nice look. But the unrelenting thanks pop up each time I wrote "thanks" (or worse, misspelled it) was obnoxious. Let me turn it off! Please.

• Lenda Thompson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Glitches regarding draft saves are constant and I keep losing work. The expressions link automatically popping up is very annoying as well.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 10 11

Feedback and Knowledge Base