OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Outlook on the web?

Improve the search function.

Improve the search function so you can filter the search by words/content and by who sent it.

380 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

142 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Add a functional search feature that returns results. The folder feature allows me to add folders, but everyone of the folders are immediate subfolders and it will not allow me to move the folder; it has to be deleted. It also does not organization the folder alphabetically.

A feature to search the content of the currently opened email would be super nice. Ctrl+F doesn't quite cut it, since it will also search the email list, which will continue to expand and load older emails, making it difficult to find what you want within the email itself (especially if you're searching for a name of someone you email with frequently)

• Ben commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The search options in the new outlook seem as though you took away features compared to the previous version. I can no longer search under a specific folder after entering a persons email address. I also can't search for emails by a specific person and then filter for ones with attachments only.

• Stephen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

1) Need more options / make it simpler when searching for emails &
    2) difficult to open up specific emails down an email chain (ie to print off just that response)

• Phil F commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Search requires a lot of work.

As of now the "EXACT PHRASE" search is a joke. It worked a few months ago but now it is returning partial hits. For example "DMARC Report" should return a short list out of 10,000 emails and not 7500 with hits for "DMARC" or "Report" or "DMARC Report."

I have confirmed this with MS Support; who told me is by design. Unfortunately the design sucks and does not match the MS instructions, for EXACT SEARCH.

We need any mail serching in outlook that time we can't found exact result.
    it is shown only one mail included lot of same emails as a like hidden mail. so we need separate mails which is we serch in outlook.

• Phillip A. Lee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If I have done a search, I have to exit out of that search before I can do another search. If you allow a search from any location that it would help out with doing searches.

We need to be able to look up emails by sender, folder or topic. This option is even worse than the regular one. Why can' you just let us query emails by topic or sender like the non web version?

This is ridiculous

• MIT commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Search function of Outlook(365) is (still) suck. Please imitate the query of Thunderbird. Poor all text searching is not needed for business use. Do you really use the e-mail on daily business use? What we want to find is not found easily. I do easily by Thunderbird.

• Shakti commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Search has to be better.
    While searching, person marked cc in a mail must be considered as recipient.

• Skyler commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The search is completely useless. I can't pick "sent by" unless the person is one of the five suggested contacts. I can't sort by date received. I can't customize virtually anything on the search and it's very frustrating.

The new search is supposed to be better than the old search. I sure don't see any improvement. I couldn't limit my search to emails from a specific sender.

Updated: Yes, new search is terrible, which is ironic given that improved search was one of the stated objectives of the update?!?!?

The key points are: Make it easy to set effective search parameters: Who it was from or sent to, whether to search inbox, sent mail, or something else, attachment or not, date range, and key words. Then, the return search needs to actually pick up everything searched on... ideally quickly. Bonus points: let me decide how to sort the results. By date is usually best, but there are times when by person (for example) is better.

• Tim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

woud be nice to do a search easily, then display all emails, then delete them all. couildnt find a way to do any of these :(

• Osama Abu Al Asal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Search is difficult to use. I prefer the old verison where you can search for a person, select them, and then search for a key word

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

Feedback and Knowledge Base