OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Outlook on the web?

DO NOT OPEN CALENDAR, CONTACTS or TASKS in a new window!

Do not open calendar, contacts or tasks in a new window, or at least make that configurable!

If you're using a browser-app window (Chrome is capable of that) than you have an application window for Outlook 365, with Icon on the desktop and all, and you have no tabs in that window.
If the calendar and the others are opened in a new window, a new browser window with that tab opens and you loose the overview you have with that integrated browser-web-application.

So for now I am back to the old version due to this.

523 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Marcel Otte shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

161 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed, this is terrible. I don't want another tab when I already have 15 open. I want to open the calendar, then go back to mail, without extra tabs. You can always use ctrl+click to make a new tab if you want; why make this the default?! It's awful. Please change it.

Dont open new tab when switching from mails to calendar or at least give an option not too this is really annoying

The new Version try to just open 1 web page for Outlook and another for the calendar, but it not handle this correctly and this new version continue opening new web pages.

• Bogdan Zytka commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There should be an option to select to open calendar / email in the same tab, new Tab, New window in outlook settings.

Also clicking calendar icon in mail view should at least bring you to existing calendar tab (if exists) and not a new tab. Now frequently I have 5-6 calendar tabs and 2-3 email view tabs (when I want to switch from calendar)... (which is quite annoying)

• e.furness commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like that when I am in outlook and click the calendar icon (bottom left) that it opens in a new tab, or vice-versa if I start at the calendar page. But I wish the system was smart enough to recognise that if those tabs are already open a second new tab is not needed!

• e.furness commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like that when I am in outlook and click the calendar icon (bottom left) that it opens in a new tab, or vice-versa if I start at the calendar page. But I wish the system was smart enough to recognise that if those tabs are already open a second new tab is not needed!

Aside from breaking expectations around browser tab behavior, this feature doesn't even work correctly - in my regular browser (Vivaldi with some popup blocking stuff added), switching from mail to calendar fails to work seemingly at random, and even on a relatively clean Chrome install it will sometimes open up a duplicate tab instead of switching to a previously opened tab as intended.

In any case, browsers already have perfectly functional "new tab" behavior on ctrl+click that users know and expect and you are not making the web a better place by using javascript to reinvent fundamental browser features according to your whims. Stop it.

• Matteo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I find OK to open a new tab but when I click back to the emails section it opens an additional new tab. It should just go back to the previous "first" email tab. I am using Chrome.

• Jamalh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Some people complain about calendar opening in a new tab and some people like it. Can we get it added as an option in settings so that the user can turn that feature on or off? I like to have it open in a new tab as I find it much faster and now that it doesnt, it slows me down. Please add it as an option for the user to choose.

• Mari commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dislike the super dark colors and color scheme of the new calendar interface, would prefer if you could switch to either lighter or darker, pastel/mauves depending on your personal preference. Also it's annoying that a completely new tab is opened when trying to switch between the calendar and mail. I understand that I can just click on the calendar tab that is already opened but when im in a hurry my mind seed the calendar symbol and I automatically click it to switch over and instead it opens another tab and I end up with 5 of the same tabs later. Please switch this back.

• Dana Preston commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Very annoying-every time I choose calendar, contacts, etc., it opens a whole new window. Hate this feature.

This issue is especially frustrating because the app menu in the upper left corner opens OTHER apps (Word, Teams, etc) in the same window by default, but email/calendar/contacts are all part of the Outlook app, and those all open in different windows with no option to change it. This is backwards.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 8 9

Feedback and Knowledge Base