OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Outlook on the web?

DO NOT OPEN CALENDAR, CONTACTS or TASKS in a new window!

Do not open calendar, contacts or tasks in a new window, or at least make that configurable!

If you're using a browser-app window (Chrome is capable of that) than you have an application window for Outlook 365, with Icon on the desktop and all, and you have no tabs in that window.
If the calendar and the others are opened in a new window, a new browser window with that tab opens and you loose the overview you have with that integrated browser-web-application.

So for now I am back to the old version due to this.

634 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Marcel Otte shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

241 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • R T commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When are you going to fix this issue. Despite the premature closure of this issue, it has not been fixed in Edge, or Chrome, or Chromium Edge. Hopefully you are not suggesting I should use IE 9 to see the fix

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When I open calendar, it opens a new tab. I'd prefer it just opened calendar in the same tab as Outlook, as it did in the previous version of web Outlook.

• Jon Calvin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When clicking between mail and calendar in new version of Outlook Web, a separate tab opens for each item I click on (ie. click on calendar; tab. click on mail; tab)
    Too many tabs = resource contention

"We’ve fixed this! Thanks for your feedback!"

No, you didn't - stil happening in Chrome.

This was not fixed, it is still opening new browser windows when I want to switch from mail to calendar for example.

• Bailey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Stop "fixing" what isn't broken. More graphic intensive means it runs slower on older devices. Opening multiple windows also slows the computer/phone. Why can't I open directly to mail anymore?

• Elissa Carnegie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The new window for an email response doesn't work as well. For example, I want to forward or reply to an earlier email in a conversation, new window doesn't seem to appear as an option

• Reah Armstrong commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I prefer the new version of outlook as i can have my mail and calender open on tabs and quickly navigate between them rather than having to

• James Lance commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is very not fixed. Every thing is a new tab, even if I have one open. (Firefox 67.0.2)

• Sydney commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be helpful to not have the calendar open in a separate tab, but rather have it open in the same one like it used to.

• Zach commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Clicking the Mail, Calendar, People, and Tasks buttons all open in new tabs. Would love these to retain the same tab just like the current version. (I'm using Firefox v67.0.2)

Is there any update on this? This hasn't been fixed even though its been marked completed.

• Lance Riley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In the "old look" if I toggle between calendar and mail, that individual browser tab changes function. Suddenly now (not a few weeks ago with the new look as far as I recall) in the "new look" selecting calendar from mail opens a partner tab and subsequent re-selections swap between this pair instead of changing the function of the individual tab. Very confusing when I have multiple tabs open (in box, sent mail, etc) and expect them to behave individually. I don't really understand the benefit of calendar and mail being combined at all. In my opinion both should be individual functions on the "office apps" front page - why do these get special partnered status??? Much better to keep it simple and the hierarchy flat. I'll be sticking with the old look unless this confusing partnered tab arrangement can be switched off

• Paul commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As others have said, this is not fixed. At least not with Chrome. If you switch back and forth between email, calendar, people and tasks over the course of a working day, you could end up with many tabs open. This is bonkers. At least let us choose whether these apps open in a new window or not!!

← Previous 1 3 4 5 12 13

Feedback and Knowledge Base