need to be able to select compact mode for folder list and message list

999 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I again thank each and everyone of you for using Outlook on the Web and for providing all of your feedback. I wanted to let you know that as of today we have enabled Density settings. There are three modes which control how tight and how much information is shown on the screen.

To change the density settings click on the gear in the top right (settings). In the pane that opened you should see three setting Full, Medium and Compact.

Hope this helps address some of the concerns around white space :)

Thanks again,

David Los

158 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Ahmad gore commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

While it looks great you should fix the bugs that plague those with slow connections of at least make i lighter version

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Under "Full, Medium and Compact." I think you are still missing what "compact" means. Basically - get rid of white space!

It would be nice to have a compact view option like gmail offers. It would help reduce the amount of scrolling down emails.

• Damian Velasco commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, it is looking better but still I think the previous interface is just smoother and more organized. New interface is sharp, messy and complicated. Wanted to share a splitscreen screenshot but is not possible here.

• Damian Velasco commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thank you for considering user's feedback - I honestly think that the previous interface looks more organized and smoother, now it is sharp and messier. I wanted to share splitscreen screenshot but I can not attach it here. Cheers

• Jennifer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Even with the new compact view, which was supposedly enabled today, the view is still not compact enough. Perhaps only 3 settings is not enough to satisfy all users. I want to be able to view more messages on my screen at once. I don't like a lot of white space between my messages.

• Alexis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Let us know when it is out of Beta testing?

"Sorry, there are no results for density"
    "Try rephrasing your query."

Please add an option to view as many emails on the left as was previously possible, without the date taking up vertical space.

• Charlie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Overall a nice job. I find it intuitive and that it looks and feels like a conventional mailer. I would like to see the message actions (Reply All, Delete, Sweep, etc.) beginning directly above the message preview pane, not to the left of it above my inbox message listing. I would also like to be able to choose a tighter display density on my folder list on the far left. I can reduce the browser zoom to, say, 85% to improve it, but that also reduces my message list and preview pane. I am fascinated by the recent emphasis on dark mode. When I started everything was dark mode, green text on a black background, 80x24. This was much easier on the eyes, and I like this feature in OWA365. I would like to be able to customize the dark theme in OWA, but some options are not adjustable when using dark theme. Still this is a very nice product.

• David Widarsson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also want to expand the menu from left to right, expandable Folder Structures, please. It's limiited to like 200px, then it's locked.

• Gary Oliver commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I need a compact view with out the **** icons. You cant drag and drop people you are sending emails to from TO: to CC: it just sucks because it is less useful and it is terribly ugly too.

• Andrew Bauman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The "folders" section leaves way too much space between each folder- can't see enough on my screen. Perhaps "Normal" vs "Condensed" view

• Justin Lo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I completely agree with the need for compact mode. There is so much wasted whitespace space, especially due to the inane colored circle with two incorrect letters, as if I can't read the sender's name because it's too long and in black font. The circle usually chooses the last initial then the middle initial ... why??

• CB commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There is far too much wasted/ white space in the Inbox upon login. Adding an option for a compact view that reduces the space between each message line would help with information density. I like to see as many subject lines as possible when I login so I can decide what to read first. More customization options in general would be welcome. Thanks!

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

Feedback and Knowledge Base