OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve Outlook on the web?

Clean, Clear Interface

Mail interface is just a mess. Cluttered, confusing, difficult to use. Please, please, please clean up the interface. Smaller fonts. Less cruft. Something like old desktop Outlook, Thunderbird, or Zimbra.

The old interface was an abomination. The new one is no better.

1,196 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • sso
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

C shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

First off, I just wanted to take a minute and personally thank each and everyone of you for trying the new Outlook on the Web experience and for taking time to provide feedback!

We truly read every piece of feedback and discuss how to best iterate and improve the product. With that being said, there seems to be a set of users that are saying they feel the new experience is more cluttered. This is for sure not the impression we want to leave!

As we dig in, we see two pieces of UI that are getting the most feedback from this group. First it is the Sender Photos and second it is the attachment previews.

We actually have a setting that can turn both of these off. If you can, can you try disabling these two features and see if everything feels better? We would love to hear back.

Click the Gear at the top right.

In the Quick Setting Pane toggle off Sender Photos and Attachment Previews.

Hope this helps, and keep the feedback coming!

David Los

233 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • sso
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • RYS commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Old version is cleaner and more pleasing to look at. New version feels crowded and looks scattered

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Too cluttered for my taste. I gave it a fair shot. Less colours are better. Less is more.

There didn't seem to be a difference in mail that was new and mail that had already been opened.

This looks very clunky - it is hard to look at, very crowded! I liked how in the previous version you could see at the top which calendars you had open. Now you have to scroll all the way through the list to check.

I just shared a similar feedback. It's not just the attachments, I actually really like that those appear. It's the overall look and feel.

• david commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

the inbox is way too cluttered. I don't see why we should have to go disable items if it is a common complaint everyone is having

Sometimes I get so frustrated with Outlook (both old and new) that I go to my iPhone, where I can clearly see what I haven't read. I hate this new version even more than the old one (it's a work email so I'm stuck with it) and will be going back to the old one.

Please - declutter this mess!

• Harry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

very cluttered look. some features are good - the search feature working better, but overall a thumbs down

I could not agree with this more. The visual hierarchy of the new design makes it very hard to scan and know where the eye should focus on.

My eyes keep being drawn to the wrong things - the colours of the UI, and not the message thread itself where the information sits.

• Ginger commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Look needs to be cleaner. Things jump around when your mouse hovers over it.

• Grace commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There are too much things going on, very hard to navigate. Too much colours and contents. I prefer the old outlook, much easier.

Why the little icons to the left of all my folders in folder list? I know they're folders already! It's just visual clutter and it is distracting to the eye.

• Weber, Stefan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

1. I*m not happy that the previews for attachments arent shown any more in the mail preview. This was a very good feature. To move it to the mail-list is the wrong idea.

2. When answering a mail I want to add other recipients immediately - which I cannot do anymore because I have do expand the window before.

New layout is too graphic intensive and too big of size for many of the older workstations in most of the offices and small businesses being used. Many of us have slow, shared networks and hardware that only uses lower resolutions (below 1920x1200), and minimal installed RAM. Keep it simple, let it load faster with less graphics.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 11 12

Feedback and Knowledge Base