OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

Managing Subscriptions in Mail Settings

The Subscriptions page in Mail Settings should be properly thought through.
Currently, there is a list of email addresses in it that apparently shows the many newsletters a user is subscribed to.

I believe this list is populated automatically without any input from the user. It is scary to see in that list email addresses that are obviously junk email addresses as well. Gives the user the impression either the system has been compromised or the user might have unknowingly subscribed to a ton of junk emails, which are not their fault in any way.

Futhermore, some email addresses are impossible to remove simply by clicking the Unsubscribe button. Those that are "successfully" removed simply move into another section called "Lists you've unsubscribed from" and it seems like those email addresses stay there permanently. What's the point of seeing that list of email addresses when I wanted it removed in the first place?

17 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Rene shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

6 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Poe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Subscriptions - Junk Emails are allowed access to this figure! Please add an on/off button until there is a long term solution solved here! Reporting/blocking junk emails does not stop them from adding itself to the new Subscription feature.

I've taken to do what I can, though I feel really helpless about my effort to STOP this!!!

go to settings>subscriptions>right click on "Unsubscribe">click "Inspect"

Look for "<span class="yBrP7Uhmi-MB_VYRTlIJ2" title="f70ny02eq@zkq.shopshop.online">f70ny02eq@zkq.shopshop.online</span>"

>click edit as HTML>copy & paste the subscription email similar to the one above and then under Settings>junk email>paste and save to block this link.

It does not remove it from subscription, but perhaps it'll block it? IDK I'm struggling to fix this myself and it's a problem they created and a problem spammers are enjoying!

• derek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

totally agree i get subscriptions i never subscribed too. seems the spammer have more control over my email then i do. no subscription should be added without user accepting the request. then there the list of them you click unsubscribe and it cant. ive used outlook for years but with the daily spam going up instead of being filtered out and they have the power to sign me up for more. it may be time to look elsewhere.

• Poe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hotmail/Outlook- Mail > Subscriptions > I can not delete newsletters I did not subscribe to
    Under my settings>mail>subscriptions - there is a ton of newsletters/junk email/spam that I never added and can not delete. I don't know how they got there and how can i remove them.

• Clifford Phillips commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have been getting a lot of spam emails for a long time. The only thing I can think of is that my browsers must be handing it out.
    I just found the subscription list in settings, I have hundreds of them that I never put there. That has to be where my spam email is coming from!

Need a way of selecting many at a time and removing them all at once.!

• ongjming commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yea, with the way things looks to be right now, I would have thought that the recent outlook layout change caused the sudden increase in junk emails that I received through these "out of nowhere" subscriptions to junk email lists. Removing them (even the ones without a message saying you will be redirected to some dubious website to unsubscribe) will send an email to the listings that you don't want to receive stuff from them anymore, found that out when one of those bounced back with a postmaster reply. (This is bad, you are telling those junk listing that you are alive).
    The feature need lots of improvement to be like in the past.

• Anon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Obviously this is a recent problem. So Outlook has caused it when making a recent change. That is a place to start looking for a solution. But even if you are not going to address this problem now (or even ever) at least have the courtesy to explain how subscriptions get added without our approval! Then perhaps we, as customers, can change something on our end to stop this problem. Please address it!

The new Outlook.com: Mail

Feedback and Knowledge Base