OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

Blocked Senders & Domain - Skip Junk & Trash

Rather than sending blocked senders and blocked domains to the junk folder, let's have their emails skip the junk folder, skip the trash (deleted items) folder and have those specific emails just disappear into oblivion.

21 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Jake shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

15 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Sheena Lee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The big dilemma I have is when to call it quits with Hotmail. First I find out after weeks of emailing back and forth to the Outlook support team that "block" doesn't actually mean block in "Hotmail world"...turns out it means send the silly email to the junk/spam file. Of course, that's the file I am trying to rid of these kind of messages in the first place.
    Now I find out that the rules I've created with a lot of thought and attention are allowed to work only once. What utter nonsense.
    As the messages from Users clearly show, Gmail engineers have figured out solutions to the junk email problem. Why on earth can't Hotmail product support people figure it out.
    If only I didn't have to undo several years of building contacts using the same hotmail address I'd have ditched hotmail a long time ago.
    What will it take for hotmail/outlook people to listen to the users?

• kamaim@hotmail.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hate Junk Mail change: Used to be "Blocked" meant BLOCKED not JUNK. Need to go back to that. If I BLOCK a domain, then DO WHAT IT SAYS -- BLOCK. BLOCK <> JUNK.

• ruhlevl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

And what is up with the "Awaiting moderator approval", that never approves my comments?
    How many others have the same issue that is not getting addresses?

• ruhlevl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We used to be able to really block domains from going into our Junk email. why can't you bring that back. Blocking from inbox only is a joke. Getting multiples daily from the same domain and addresses. How about a way to also report **** which maybe *** trafficking. I get many for Russian hot babes. How to please...etc. There is also enough safe senders going through to junk after being marked safe that I cannot delete all.

• Sheena Lee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There are major problems with the way outlook.com handles junk email. First, the same mail items are delivered to my laptop, my Android phone and my gmail account. Only the laptop receives between 100 and 200 absolute junk messages every day and I am totally fed up.
    Yes, I know I could simply hit the delete button but of course there are some messages from trusted senders (eg USCIS) which end up in the junk email file. This means I have to scan through the new "junk" carefully to extract the genuine messages before deleting everything else.
    Alternatively I am supposed to be able to identify safe senders, except this feature doesn't work on my laptop. I enter the name and hit "add" and "save" and the name doesn't get added or saved.
    Another option you'd think might work would be to use the function "block" except that the block function really just means (according to the outlook.com staff) that the item will be marked as junk and sent to the junk email file, which of course is where it was in the first place. To me, the word block indicates the the item will be stopped and not allowed into any of my email folders.
    Another option that has been suggested to me by your staff is to use the Sweep function, however, on my outlook.com program the sweep function is only an option for the Inbox...not with the junk/spam file.
    I have had extensive correspondence with the outlook.com people but nothing that has been suggested has made any dent on the daily barrage of garbage coming in on my laptop.
    What I truly don't understand is how the same account forwarded to my cellphone arrives without a single piece of the junk but with those messages eg USCIS which the laptop version considered as junk. Naively I would have thought the programming for the two would have been the same.
    Bottom line, the version of outlook.com for an Android phone, a gmail account to which the same email messages are forwarded, and my husband's yahoo (ymail) account are all free from the daily barrage of garbage emails. Why is it so hard for the laptop version to handle these the same way and make sure they don't appear daily on my computer?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

exactally better yet instead of blocking e-mails addresses you should try e-mail headings... i get the same topic from 4 different e-mails and when and only when i get to block them which is about 1 in a month span. and then the next day i get the same topic from 4 more e-mail addresses... gets frustrationg after awhile

• rick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

your method of blocking emails and spam domains is ludicrous. instead of going to my junk mail, send it directly to my trash. I DON'T WANT TO SEE THE *** ADS AND DRUG ADS. fix this before I find a new mail server.

• Sue commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I went thru and unsubscribed all my junk emails because blocking them didn't work to find that all my time and effort came back thru Microsoft to say they were undeliverable...how do you quit getting the same emails over and over even after you blocked them?

when I get spam junk trash in the junk file box I want to block them from ever getting to me not put them back there bring back the old style were you blocked them and did not get them again NOW I AM FOREVER SEE IT BACK AGAIN BLOCK MEANS BLOCK NOT SEND IT TO JUNK FILE SO YOU NEVER GET THEM AGAIN

• John Randall commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If I block a domain, now the e-mail from that domain will go to my Junk folder. It wasn't like this before. Before, e-mail from a blocked domain would be deleted from all folders, period. In the new version of outlook.com, under "Blocked senders and domain," it says, "Move e-mail from these senders or domains to my Junk e-mail folder."

If I go through the trouble of blocking a domain, this is from a domain that is sending spam and obviously, I don't want their e-mail to appear in my Junk folder either. The reason we have a Junk folder is because we may receive e-mail from spammers and legit senders. So we need to sort through our Junk folder to see which e-mail is legit and which is spam.

Now, but sending all e-mails from blocked domains to our Junk folder, the spammers can still get through to our Junk folder, and as a user, we have to sort through more spam in our Junk folder. It makes no sense to send e-mail from blocked domains to our Junk folder. Why did you make this change?

• John Randall commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

They used to delete e-mail from blocked domains before. Now that e-mail ends up in your Junk folder and it clogs your Junk folder with e-mail from a known spammer.

If I am blocking a domain, why would I want that e-mail in my Junk folder? If I go through the trouble of blocking a domain, obviously, I don't want to see that e-mail in my Junk folder as well.

block **** emails before they are put in any end user folder. or give us the code rule to block them. I mean block them. I mean I do NOT want to see them at all. this is a sad display of lack of initiative or skill sets for such a famous company as msft

The new Outlook.com: Mail

Feedback and Knowledge Base