OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

Want Classic Back!

Title: Want Classic Back: I want switched back to classic view. There is no option for me to switch to classic. I was forced to use beta. Please make it an option to choose.

7,761 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

sheilaeichman shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
Completed  ·  AdminMicrosoft Outlook (Feedback Manager, Outlook.com) responded  · 

First off, I just want to thank each and everyone of you for taking the time and providing feedback on the new Outlook.com experience. I totally appreciate that updates can often be frustrating when things change. I also want to thank everyone that has provided feedback over the course of the Beta to ensure that we address feedback.

With that being said, I do want to offer some types/advice on some options that you can select to get a view that is more in line with the old experience. This includes turning off the Colored bubbles :)

First click on the Gear in the top right hand corner. This will load the Quick Settings Pane. This pane includes all of the key features that are likely different between the old experience and the new experience.

To get a view that is similar to the old view I would turn off the following: Conversation View, Reading Pane (set to Hide), Sender Image (these are the colored initial circles), Group by Date (these are the date headers in the message list), and finally Attachment Preview.

Once these are off, the view should look VERY similar to the old experience.

Again please keep the feedback coming, the entire team is reviewing every submission and we are working on bringing additional improvements.

Some of these include, Density settings (this will help those that want a more compact view), updated spam/junk settings, Chat improvements, and much much more.

Thanks again for using Outlook.com!

2654 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Experiencing blinking on & off screen, slow and shaky operation ever since this new outlook system was released. I've had to open a gmail account and shift everything over there. Very bad. Very, very bad! Why would Outlook release something that is worse? I'm guessing that somehow it's better at collecting our foot-prints.

je veux le retour à l'ancienne version. Trop de problèmes à expliquer avec la nouvelle version. Si ce n'est pas possible, je n'utiliserai plus mon adresse e-mail outlook.

Can't even run rules on existing messages in my Inbox on this new version... Don't force users to use a beta product when it doesn't contain all the functionality existing in the previous (working!!) version!!

• kemla_60 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Typing a new message is so difficult because it doesn't open fully so you can see what you're typing and it also jumps erratically when trying to type. EVERYTHING about this version is terrible!

• csciential commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Some idiot does not know how to build an email server. Sheesh! the Complaints. Why bother telling you anything as you people just create more problems!!!!!!!

Do not like the new format as it seems to be annoying . The old one worked better for me .

I really can't stand this new outlook! There is nothing about it that's better! Please bring back the old one!!

This new THING (I cant even call it format or layout) is awful! Glitchy, slow, no matter what browser I use. On a Mac. I want my old one back. This on is so hard to look at. AWFUL11

Is the new Outlook going to be scrubbed in favor of returning to the previous?
    If not, I need to know so I can get on with leaving Outlook soon.

• estelahenkel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Again, please return my previous format. What is it with you people? Are my personal emails , yours???

• dmiskiw commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Logging on to find this dumped on my computer is not a good way to implement a new version. In fact, it's a terrible way. I am trying to do things but I have to fumble around trying to figure out how to see more than one or two lines at a time in a new message, etc. Most of the screen is taken up with asking me to use something new in Chrome but I can't see enough about what it is to decide if I want it. I haven't had any issues accessing email before - I don't need this. I'd like the old version back - worked fine without all the toys for "kids".

• arjanvandongen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

NEW HOTMAIL SUCKS!!! SESSION TIMEOUTS WHILE I AM WORKING REALLY SUCKS, YES YOU READ IT WELL !!!

ALSO FEEDBACK SUCKS BECAUSE THE LAST 20 YEARS IT DID NOT HELP!!!

I AM A MS-OFFICE PAYED USER SO GIVE ME MY OLD INTERFACE BACK !!

GRRRR.... ALL MY EFFORTS IN A EMAIL GONE AGAIN !!!!

• Marc Lowy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Mail fails to load every single time it is opened, regardless of the folder being opened. Mail fails to send until the 3rd attempt. Attachments fail to attach. "Please try again later" message every single time I carry out an operation for the first time. Loading is slow. Coloured icons next to mail items are distracting and make sorting mail visually difficult. Even this feedback box is flawed, this is my 5th attempt to report these faults. This version is absolutely appalling and should be restored to the previous version immediately as was the option when this version was still in Beta.

• BSMcelroy@hotmail.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

hey look outlook i deleted you and added my hotmail account and bam there's my emails. I knew they were there. **** outlook. dogshit program serves no purpose. deleting off all devices. bye for now. ack ack

• snhai1 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I literally hate the way this looks now. I will switch to only using my googlemail. bye

• wistyxfan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This new HOTMAIL re-formats everything and makes all my work & correspondence twice as hard. Switch it back the system, because you did NOT improve a thing; it's all a hindrance, impediment, & a total decline in service.

The new Outlook.com: Mail

Feedback and Knowledge Base