OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

Want Classic Back!

Title: Want Classic Back: I want switched back to classic view. There is no option for me to switch to classic. I was forced to use beta. Please make it an option to choose.

7,761 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

sheilaeichman shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

First off, I just want to thank each and everyone of you for taking the time and providing feedback on the new Outlook.com experience. I totally appreciate that updates can often be frustrating when things change. I also want to thank everyone that has provided feedback over the course of the Beta to ensure that we address feedback.

With that being said, I do want to offer some types/advice on some options that you can select to get a view that is more in line with the old experience. This includes turning off the Colored bubbles :)

First click on the Gear in the top right hand corner. This will load the Quick Settings Pane. This pane includes all of the key features that are likely different between the old experience and the new experience.

To get a view that is similar to the old view I would turn off the following: Conversation View, Reading Pane (set to Hide), Sender Image (these are the colored initial circles), Group by Date (these are the date headers in the message list), and finally Attachment Preview.

Once these are off, the view should look VERY similar to the old experience.

Again please keep the feedback coming, the entire team is reviewing every submission and we are working on bringing additional improvements.

Some of these include, Density settings (this will help those that want a more compact view), updated spam/junk settings, Chat improvements, and much much more.

Thanks again for using Outlook.com!

2654 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Wes and Brett Pearce-Waytuck commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why don't I subscribe to beta? Because it is another example of a product provider determining my user experience. Example: Sort is limited to 3 options (instead of the 5 or 6 in classic) and is not persistent ... the minute you change screens it reverts to the default. The reason I use outlook and not google mail is because of the options I have in defining my own user experience. Take away those options, and why would I be here? Sticking with classic

• Simon Proulx commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

year the colors i cant do it... hurts my eyes... and im only 32 lol. like the non-beta version better.. please dont make this a mandatory upgrade.. ever!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The entire world tried to copy Microsoft's brilliance with email. Why change it? I use several other web-based email systems and none compared to Windows Outlook for functionality, style, features, and ease of use.
    PUT IT BACK!

• Jennifer Johnson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is the same annoying format as gmail. I miss the old, old hotmail format. I don't want to go to the bottom of the email to send my reply. I don't need to reread it.

Minimalist design choices are cool and all, but the former design was already minimalist enough. Trying to over-minimize things just because it's the 'trend' is dumb and goes against the logic that it imposes, which is making stuff easier by being 'clean'. Just try not to over-clean the design of Microsoft products without thinking if you will be making it harder to use and appreciate.

• StephM commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can't find anything because I can't see it. It's all hidden away under different tabs. What is with the conversation style of emailing? I hate it. I can't give my emails different coloured flags and see everything all nicely categorised. There's no option to add safe senders so half my emails are going into the junk folder. I want the old outlook :(

• Mark Cody commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

dont change the existing format. It works really well. You have made it difficult to navigate difficult to see your folder lists and generally hard to use. If this version is implemented I will no longer use hotmail. I need rapid access to a listing and quick and easy reply options from a horizontal tool bar. Vertical toolbars dont cut it. they are much harder to use unless they are in the folder listing form which is alphabetical. That works but it is a logical reference list. Putting icons which have several potential uses and only identified by an arrow or box is useless.
    The current system is efficient, easy to use, good identifiable tasks such as print, save draft etc. This so called Beta model is really bad. It shpuld be renamed Worsa. You should remember that another system called Beta (video system) was a lemon and was quickly killed off by VHS

Não gostei, na minha opinião bagunçou tudo, quero voltar para versão antiga.

make it look like microsoft outlook please - this is just too frustrating. it needs cleaning up and easy sorting options, driving me insane!

• Kim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Quit changing the email application. No one has time to learn all this new functionality! You are making checking email cumbersome with all these changes!

• rjcooper50 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Leave things as they are, these changes do nothing more than re-arranging the corporate furniture....they add no value, except in the mind of the beholder.....normally the "dude" trying to make himself (herself) advance up the corporate ladder.....Boo! Keep tinkering, maybe someone will get the message.

• Lisa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Achei confusa esta versão, muita informação na tela. Prefiro a anterior.

• Tim Davis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I do not like your new format at all, please convert me back to the old format or I will find another email service other than outlook

The new Outlook.com: Mail

Feedback and Knowledge Base