OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

It's to har do block junk mail domains

Since number of same mails from not so serious senders are sent from a number of different domains. i would like to have a button to block the domain directly in the UI. It is quite cumbersome to copy domain and add it to the block domain list.

7 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

roger.olsson@live.se shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate that you took the time to write to us.

You might enjoy the new Outlook experience more with a few changes to your settings, which you can find by clicking the gear icon. Try changing the setting for Conversation view to Off, changing the setting for Reading pane to Hide, and changing the setting for Attachment preview to Off.

We’re always interested in new ideas, but we need some more specific feedback to fix the problem for you. If you have more detailed suggestions, please update your idea or add a new one.

You might also find this help article useful: aka.ms/outlookcombetahelp. It has some simple steps to fix common problems.

-The Outlook.com Team

11 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • WilTorresJr@hotmail.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To block a domain, a user must go to "Settings", click on "View all Outlook settings", click on "Junk Mail", click on "Add", then type or paste in the domain name. Why not make blocking a domain easier to list by including a check box feature under the "Ok" and "Cancel" buttons giving the user the choice on whether he/she would like to block all emails from that domain.

• hvancura commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

add the ability to block junk domains from the junk pulldown menu rather then having to go into the settings page and add the domains manually

• seana_ohare commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Allow us to Block an entire URL (e.g. "@phishing.com" regardless of the sender name, instead of just a single email address. Otherwise the cretins just change the first half of the email and keep resending it. It should be simple modifiable blacklist table to allow us to block based on URL.

• X commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is not solving the problem, it's moving the problem. I don't want to click and scroll to navigate my way to the settings and then typing manually by hand one domain at a time in order to block it.

As the original poster here said: "i would like to have a button to block the domain directly in the UI." This would actually improve the situation. Just like with regular blocking: Select the emails you want to domain block > Click the unwanted mail dropdown > click domain block (which would be located underneath block it self. The result is that the entire domains of the selected emails are blocked.

Now tell me, what sounds more practical?

Select mail > Click dropdown > block domain

OR

Remember domain names > click gear icon > (depending on resolution) scroll down > click 'All Outlook settings' > click 'Unwanted email' > (depending on resolution) scroll down again > type in ONE domain in the blocked domain field > click the 'Add' button > Repeat last two steps until you've blocked all domains.

Bonus: If you forget one of the domain names, you have to redo this entire circus again.

• X commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's not user friendly to go to the full email settings and type in a domain one by one in order to block a domain. Next to selecting (spam) mails and blocking just the email address, it should be possible to select 'Block domain' right then and there.

Oftentimes spammers generate email addresses anyway but the one thing that is often the same is the domain. Blocking the latter will clear out a tremendous amount of spam in one fell swoop. However, currently you have to navigate a long way to block specific domains in the settings and manually type in the domain that you want to block.

I remember that this was actually a feature back in the early days of hotmail but somewhere last decade got replaced to the settings. Which is clunky as more and more spam is being generated over the last past 16 years.

• ozzie3@hotmail.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, one suggestion and one complaint pls:
    - Suggestion that would ease the pain of getting 100 junk mails every few hours (even if deleted after 30 days it pains me to see these junk emails accumulate and take up space), Be able to block domains at one click (similar to blocking userid's) this would definitly be more effective as many junk userids come from the same domain... Today you have to go into settings , advanced and input the name of the domain to block too long ...
    2- My complaint, filters do not work and don't block anything and I have had to put up so many of them specially with special characters like * or-... and my own user id... how come that they are not efficient with words like cannabis oor *** or junk like that in the body, in the subject oer From fields... Hope I can get an answer from your team... tks

• K Ross commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like an easier way of adding blocked domains. It is easy enough to block a specific email but copying and pasting the domain is difficult especially with the popups that show up when you try to copy a domain. Another blocking button for domains or a drop down menu letting you choose the email address or domain would help.

Also if you could sort the block domains by spelling and email addresses by domain it would be helpful. Since you put a limit on the number of addresses that can be blocked it would be helpful to manage this issue by deleting the address especially when several are coming from the same domain and then list the domain to be blocked instead.

• teresa-nsgp@hotmail.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

with the new settings format, it takes too many steps to input a domain address into blocked sender - please add this function to Quick Settings, rather than having to go through so many steps. Thank you!

The new Outlook.com: Mail

Feedback and Knowledge Base