OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

Navigate back to search

Hi, it used to be that when a search was made, we could view one of the messages, and the navigate back to the search. Now navigating back brings us to Inbox, and I need to do the search again to view another item! This is really annoying. Also, undo send feature is gone.

32 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Facundo Sosa-Rey shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

26 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Email search facility does not work right.
    I search on a name and get a list of previous emails but I'm uncertain which one is what I am looking for. When you click on one and find out it's not the one you want you hafta start all over. The previous Outlook would return you to the page where you made your selection so you could move on from there. The way it works now is unacceptable and a waste of time. I've complained before but nothing gets done (what's new?)!

• Saskia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Very true. And right now I'm also not seeing the search field, so I have to reload the whole webpage!
    Note: the space I'm typing this in is like 1/3th of entire field, also annoying

• jonathan bax commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When I search for emails and then go back to the last page, it does not go back to the search results. Very annoying. How can I fix this?

• Roger commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've also found this annoying, but the solution is in the thread below: clicking the arrow at the left of the search box takes you back to the search list.

• seanmvca@outlook.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hitting the BACK button on the browser UI while accessing a mail entry from a search result returns the user to the regular mailbox screen, not the results screen. If I want to review multiple mails from the search results, I must perform the query multiple times. The only time I can prevent from having to re-do the search is if i click on the graphic <- icon located next to the search query box. This proper behavior should be the same when I press the BACK button on the browser.

• h_worm commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If I search an item in e.g. sent items, a list is presented. If I open a message and then press the back button, I don't get the earlier list but I go back to my inbox. Which is annoying if you search anything. It wasn't the case before the new layout.

• liefting commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You have to enter a new search every time instead of being able to use the back button

• Florisz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

THANK YOU ADMIN! The little arrow in the left side of the search box!
    I was in the same thought that there was no back to search result button anymore.
    I'm in single line view and indeed the little arrow in the left side of the search box brings you back to the search results.
    Now that I know it is great. Always good to learn something new!

• lisa3119 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Search can no longer be used. I actually use the search function to find things. It no longer works effectively because you can't go back to the search page generate d if you happen to not find the item on the first pass. This results in multiple searches. Exactly who thought that was a great idea? Obviously someone who doesn't use the search function. Put it back the way it was!

• Jpod commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Search cant go backwards - when I search say 'Car repairs' all the emails list, if I look at one, then hit backwards arrow the list has gone and I have to search all over again. Unlike the earlier version.

When I do a search of my inbox, if I choose a message to read, I now can't go back to "search results". If I go back, it is my whole inbox and I have to search again. Adds another step to the process compared to your previous version.

• AdminOutlook.com Moderator (Customer Support Agent, Outlook.com) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi everyone, First I want to thank you for using our product and thank you for taking time to provide your feedback. We are investigating this issue so your help to assist us better understanding the situation is appreciated.

Are you using single line view or 3-column view?

The back button on the left side of the search box (after the search is executed) takes you back to the search results list if you are in single line view. It exits the search if you are in 3-column view.

Thanks!

Interesting! I posted a new comment about this very issue, and I got a notification that Outlook had "merged" my comment into a related thread.
    Yes, it is indeed related; this thread is the very issue I brought up, about returning to Search Results when I'm trying to find the right email.
    Outlook paid enough attention to relate my comment to a relevant discussion thread. But not enough to actually answer the question.

On an older Hotmail account I have, when I'd do a search of my email and get a bunch of results, I'd open a message. If I needed to look more, I could go back to a folder with those search results.
    Now, I have a newer outlook account. When I open one message in a list of search results, I see no way to go back to the list of the results. I have to do the search all over again.

The back function does not work for going back to search results. This is very inconvenient

• FabianBakkum@hotmail.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This new version is terrible!!!! When I search and open a search result and then want to go back to the search results it redirects me to my Inbox!!!!!

• colplant1@hotmail.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

in the previous version of Oulook mail, when I searched for an email address in my inbox, I was able to click the "back" arrow to get back into my search results. Now I have to do a complete search all over again. Can this be fixed?

← Previous 1

The new Outlook.com: Search

Feedback and Knowledge Base