OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

Infinite scroll makes it impossible to get to old emails

Previous iterations of outlook.com have used pagination or viewport scrolling to allow me to accurately jump to any point in the middle of my inbox. The new layout, however, uses infinite scrolling, meaning that if I want to view a message more than a few days old, I have to scroll to the bottom, wait for a few messages to load, scroll to the bottom, wait for more messages to load, ad infinitum.

In fact, I can't any way in the new inbox of jumping to a historical email. If I can remember that I received an email at the beginning of last month, I don't seem to have any way of jumping right to it - previously I could just scroll to the right point or go to the right page.

Please consider adding back in either pagination or viewport scrolling, as infinite scroll is not a suitable technique for an email inbox.

3,798 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Sam shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

211 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This system is ridiculous, it's not just the current emails that we require access to. We used to be able to search an email by the senders's initial, but the new system doesn't allow us to scroll to older emails before jumping back to the start. Why is it that all Tech people like to think that they are clever by making improvements, which actually make the use of the sstem worse?

• lisa3119 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yet another example of your improvements making the application unable to be used. Roll the changes back so that your product can actually be used.

• Kerry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I thought I could get past not being able to get to older email by searching, but it calls up my archive NOT THE INBOX!!!

• Kerry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I will never understand why there isn't at least an option to go back to the oldest emails. It should be like something gmail has where you can click an arrow or put in a page number for older emails.

• raddeco@hotmail.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When I'm scrolling down my inbox, the list keeps refreshing every few seconds, often jumping back to the very top of the list, in which case I have to scroll all the way down again to find where I was, only to have the list again jump back to the top to start the infuriating process all over again. This is very aggravating, to say the least.

Well said Sam!! I HAVE THE SAME EXACT PROBLEM!! I guess it is time to move to another email provider as they've now made it impossible for me to function in their email world!!

• wjmmoore commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have 300 new emails. I need pages to delete several at a time. Deleting all is not an option since I have several emails that I keep in my inbox. Continuous scrolling is a horrible idea for emails.

My Inbox keeps scrolling to the top of the page and prevents me selecting new messages - for reading/deleting/filing

• MFT262 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft - not everyone uses infinite scroll, some people use a mouse. And the scroll bar - appearing and disappearing constantly - is ridiculous. C'mon microsoft, grow up.

I have to select each mail individually to delete it. Its very time consuming! Let me select each page of emails to delete.

Used to be able to delete 20 emails at a time. Now you have to select them one at a time or delete everything in your inbox. What a waste of time... a huge pain. Please change it back

Scrolling.
    scrolling for previous e-mails is slow and practically impossible for more than a couple of months

• Nurul Islam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This issue made this new layout one of worst web based mail service. Users are making comments for more than a year now. This issue is also one of the top 10 voted issue. Is there anybody out there to reply about the solution?

• rogerwknight commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Seems that there is a serious problem with long running scripts. How about we don't have these long running scripts as they cause all kinds of unnecessary problems.

• rogerwknight commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Cannot get to the OLD emails FAST. Keeps suddenly flipping to the new emails in the INBOX forcing a repeat of the LONG SLOW process of getting back to the OLD emails. Working with the old emails is frustrating because the buttons don't RESPOND FAST to being clicked.
    Leave us the option of going BACK TO WHAT WORKED.

• Mindy McConnell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with Sam's experience and don't see why it is flagged inappropriate. Where are all my old emails in my inbox??????I need them.

The new Outlook.com: Mail

Feedback and Knowledge Base