OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

Infinite scroll makes it impossible to get to old emails

Previous iterations of outlook.com have used pagination or viewport scrolling to allow me to accurately jump to any point in the middle of my inbox. The new layout, however, uses infinite scrolling, meaning that if I want to view a message more than a few days old, I have to scroll to the bottom, wait for a few messages to load, scroll to the bottom, wait for more messages to load, ad infinitum.

In fact, I can't any way in the new inbox of jumping to a historical email. If I can remember that I received an email at the beginning of last month, I don't seem to have any way of jumping right to it - previously I could just scroll to the right point or go to the right page.

Please consider adding back in either pagination or viewport scrolling, as infinite scroll is not a suitable technique for an email inbox.

3,766 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Sam shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

211 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Len Richard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Are you going to fix the problem of not being able to use the arrow key to scroll down a message. Why the **** did you stop this. Ya think we all wanna hold our mouse all day long to do anything. What moron came up with this idea as "great" .... fix it ....

• Jeanne commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I so agree. I can't get to pass emails without it jumping immediately to the top. I find it so irritating that I am ready to close the email.

• D GILES commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This new infinite selection and scrolling is the worst idea EVER in Outlook. I FINALLY got through my mail to delete old and save the ones I wanted when the screen updated and I lost all of my changes. I really hate this new setup.

• Jennifer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to know when this issue will be rectified. This is ridiculous and unacceptable. If nothing will be done, I am going to exclusively use Gmail.

• Dee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I hate the new Outlook. The endless scrolling through email threads, the look and function of the features are not user friendly, and a multitude of other things.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The new views is a complete pain in the ****. Another example of somebody thinking they know best. We don't all clear our inbox every day.

• Len Richard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is it just using Firefox to link to this email or is it for everyone. I CAN'T USE THE ARROW KEYS TO SCROLL DOWN LONG MESSAGES .... I have to use the frickin mouse. If this is for everyone no matter what Browser, what stupid idiot thought his is Brilliant. I can't scroll down and hit delete key for items to remove. I can do it once then I have to again use the frickin mouse to select then delete.

• EmailJuggler commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This may be what I've been experiencing. I get lots of emails everyday, and have lots of folders. I can't go down the inbox list with out it jumping back up if I move the mouse anywhere, say to the email I click on. I have to spend twice as long working on them. Help us please.

Considering moving all of my outlook/hotmail email into my yahoo accounts. At least they let you revert to 2 different older versions of their interface.

I totally concurred with the statement: It is horrible!! Quit screwing around with Hotmail. If you don't have enough meaningful work to do--QUIT and go find another job.

I do not need help! I need you to pay ATTENTION to the many problems I'm experiencing. Normally it would take me just a few minutes to go through a large number of messages. Now with this so called improvement it has taken me over 2 hours doing the same amount. Totally unacceptable!
    The list, screen and all page keeps on flicking/jumping...going blank...coming back & repeating the same process...when in the middle of a page it goes blank & it takes me back to the first message...so I have to scroll down ...searching to where I left...back & forth...total insanity & a waste of my time.
    To delete a message I have to click more than twice....if I have a message to be deleted on page 3 it will take me back to page one first message...waste of time.
    I do not see ANY improvements all I see is more complications...more time wasted.
    Either bring me back to the previous system or fire the genius who created this mess.
    Amazing how messy you system has become!
    How GENIUS is it ...that such a mess could be called a
    "an extraordinary improvement?

I do not need help! I need you to pay ATTENTION to the many problems I'm experiencing. Normally it would take me just a few minutes to go through a large number of messages. Now with this so called improvement it has taken me over 2 hours doing the same amount. Totally unacceptable!
    The list, screen and all page keeps on flicking/jumping...going blank...coming back & repeating the same process...when in the middle of a page it goes blank & it takes me back to the first message...so I have to scroll down ...searching to where I left...back & forth...total insanity & a waste of my time.
    To delete a message I have to click more than twice....if I have a message to be deleted on page 3 it will take me back to page one first message...waste of time.
    I do not see ANY improvements all I see is more complications...more time wasted.
    Either bring me back to the previous system or fire the genius who created this mess.
    Amazing how messy you system has become!
    How GENIUS is it ...that such a mess could be called a
    "an extraordinary improvement?
    Only in the minds of a maniac!

• turbomaker4 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

why are you ******* my outlook again ????why do you change everything without ask me first this is very bad how can i go back to the way it was before ????and how can i block any change you make?

• robinshrubsole commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The infinite scroll in the previous Outlook version was really useful to me, and pretty rapid.

In this new version, it is INTERMINABLY slow.

I need a continuous scroll facility that works well.

This needs to be addressed immediately. Otherwise, I will be forced to use Gmail exclusively!

THIS! Please include the old feature of being able to pick a month and day to jump to! This is absolutely ridiculous!

• Trena Christie-MacEachern commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

infinite scrolling is hateful - I can't reach the bottom of old emails that I've saved for a reason. Give back the old outlook and be done with your playing around.

• wayne anderson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Very aggravating not being able to reliably scroll to older messages! It keeps jumping to the latest messages, loosing the place at the older email date. Please fix this Microsoft.

The new Outlook.com: Mail

Feedback and Knowledge Base