OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

Infinite scroll makes it impossible to get to old emails

Previous iterations of outlook.com have used pagination or viewport scrolling to allow me to accurately jump to any point in the middle of my inbox. The new layout, however, uses infinite scrolling, meaning that if I want to view a message more than a few days old, I have to scroll to the bottom, wait for a few messages to load, scroll to the bottom, wait for more messages to load, ad infinitum.

In fact, I can't any way in the new inbox of jumping to a historical email. If I can remember that I received an email at the beginning of last month, I don't seem to have any way of jumping right to it - previously I could just scroll to the right point or go to the right page.

Please consider adding back in either pagination or viewport scrolling, as infinite scroll is not a suitable technique for an email inbox.

3,745 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Sam shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

209 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • john commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I DETEST THE NEW OUTLOOK.... SEEMS THE MORE THEY CHANGE TO WORSE THIS SERVICE GETS !

• welli2006 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I cannot get to any of my old emails. Impoosible. With the new set up that just took effect. I scroll down to look for what I want and get so far, then it just scrolls back up on its own to my current days emails. This new change has taken all of our old emails from being viewed. What are we going to do if we can never get to them and need to? Please fix this problem. As of right now, I am not able to view anything I have done in the past. totally obstructed from having any way to get to them.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Most frustrating change ever... Can now only delete ONE or ALL emails - WTH??!!! Who thinks this is a good idea?? , Will be going to GMAIL for all my sites if no change back in the next month.

• Mrs. H. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I definitely don't like this new outlook.com! Can't even find how to copy an email msg. to another folder. The only option is to "Move to" whereas the classic version allowed one to "Copy to" if desired. Instructions for use are well hidden to none.

I guess I am just going to Gmail!! This is just a terrible change! I also can only delete one email at a time or all emails in my inbox ... WTF????!!!

• gamblemaniac commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Scroll down, machine puts you back to top. Scroll down, machine puts you back to top. Completely unusable. Gmail, here I come!

• Petter Nordgren commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

WHAT??? Now Ican't get to my older emails! And like many here, as soon as I have scrolled to where that mail is, it jumps right back to the top. Sometimes I'm "allowed" to click on my mail to read but when I go back to the list -it jumps right back to the top, giving me another 5 minutes of fun trying to scroll to it again! NOT COOL!!!
    I have thousands of emails in some of my folders and it's a complete nightmare trying to see anything older than a week or so. I have mailing lists going back 15 years with tens of thousands of messages in them, I haven't even tried to look at those, I'm not brave enough...
    Please do something! At least bring back the "Beta-switch".

• Elisabet �degaard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

En innboks skal være enkel og rask å bruke. Hotmail er blitt nærmest ubrukelig de siste ukene. Sjekker innboksen et par ganger i uka. Først bruker jeg en evighet på å bla meg nedover siden. Hotmail er blitt ekstremt tregt! I tillegg så hopper innboksen tilbake til toppen/dagens dato hver gang jeg lukker en mail. Jeg må da bla meg nedover siden på nytt, ofte gjennom mange titalls mailer, for å komme tilbake til den mailen/datoen jeg så på sist. Dette tar unødig lang tid! Orker snart ikke å bruke Hotmail. Kan dere vennligst og snarest få gjort noe med dette!

Infinite scrolling is the most irritating function ever invented. It's only useful for reading incredibly long blocks of text like books.

• julia pratt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm having a great deal of difficulty searching & opening older emails. Can you please stop this function of this new update; I rely heavily on searching for old emails & threads for the purpose of keeping my contacts & knowing what was said on committees, projects, etc. This current method is maddening. Can you please change this back.....I can't work this way.

• jjk26@hotmail.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This new interface is very slow. Scrolling back to older messages takes forever and you can see the page loading constantly as it goes blank

The new Outlook.com: Mail

Feedback and Knowledge Base