OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

Infinite scroll makes it impossible to get to old emails

Previous iterations of outlook.com have used pagination or viewport scrolling to allow me to accurately jump to any point in the middle of my inbox. The new layout, however, uses infinite scrolling, meaning that if I want to view a message more than a few days old, I have to scroll to the bottom, wait for a few messages to load, scroll to the bottom, wait for more messages to load, ad infinitum.

In fact, I can't any way in the new inbox of jumping to a historical email. If I can remember that I received an email at the beginning of last month, I don't seem to have any way of jumping right to it - previously I could just scroll to the right point or go to the right page.

Please consider adding back in either pagination or viewport scrolling, as infinite scroll is not a suitable technique for an email inbox.

3,763 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Sam shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

211 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • brbenni commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This whole new system sucks. You used to be able to tap the inbox symbol to delete items that were only visible. Now when you tap the inbox symbol, it wipes out the whole inbox. Also there is too much space wasted. Go back to the last version.

• Mireille commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same problem as others, I can not get to the older e-mails in my hold file. Keeps bouncing back up to top... Please help!!!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I desperately need an email from 2011 that is from my brother. It has important test results in it that can help with his current health condition. I had all his emails saved in a folder with his name. Now, it seems that there are no emails past 2014 in any of my folders. I am a board member, I have job offers, family emails from loved ones that have passed. Please, give me a way to retrieve my old emails. I will pay for premium if that is what this is about. I just can't seem to get any answers.

Viva La Hotmail!

• JANET KARST commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why, why, why, why would you mess with perfection???? I absolutely can not understand why your techs would wreck something that works.

• Helaine commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

They destroyed the inbox. I will have to stop using hotmail and change to another normal inbox. Why did you have to destroy something that worked? I try to get to older emails and I can't!!! It reverts only to the first email in the inbox. Is there anyway to switch it back???

We want the old Outlook back - or to close the account, it is impossible to work with the new one.

• soozeepim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

my page keeps jumping, I cannot scroll thru my INBOX, this is horrendous ... don't make me go to GMAIL please ... FIX THIS ASAP

• oz_wendy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Outlook you have ruined a perfectly good email service once called Hotmail.. your silly fangdangled High tech this and that is completely crazy!! STIOP THE SCROLLING MADNESS!! I cannot get to any of my old emails it just keeps defaulting back to present day. Useless technology. Hotmail used to have individual pages easy to get to and easy to delete in fractions you wanted to. Why try and fix something thats not broken..please go back to old and simple ways all this lights and imojis and extras cannot make it ok to not have a good functioning email service. I am so going to have to copy and paste my important things and go to a better email provider.. I miss Hotmail so much been with them for years and Outlook you have ruined it :( :(

• atchisonmarilyn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same problem as others, can not, absolutely can not, get to the older e-mails in my hold file. Keeps bouncing back up to top.

• anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

why cant i see all of the addresses that I mailed to in the bcc line? I've sent to 68 people and only see about 30 addresses. I used to be able to see them before this new format !

Go back to the old hotmail system. Horrid coloured spots that detrct your eye. Confusing.

• anon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Have to agree with the masses here, it's so hard to scroll, it's so frustrating!

• [Deleted User] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Terrible new outlook. A disaster to scroll through, very hard. No pages numbered, very difficult to find older emails. Outlook go back to the old hotmail system.

infinite scrolling is horrible...hate hate hate it. It takes forever. I wish they would just leave things alone. Don't like anything about the new format.

The attachments take up a lot of screen space. I really lose my focus. This new version is slower, and I have to scroll for ages and it goes back up by itself. Who had this horrible idea of updating something that was working perfectly fine to start with??? This new version is completely HIDEOUS!!!!

The new Outlook.com: Mail

Feedback and Knowledge Base