OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

Infinite scroll makes it impossible to get to old emails

Previous iterations of outlook.com have used pagination or viewport scrolling to allow me to accurately jump to any point in the middle of my inbox. The new layout, however, uses infinite scrolling, meaning that if I want to view a message more than a few days old, I have to scroll to the bottom, wait for a few messages to load, scroll to the bottom, wait for more messages to load, ad infinitum.

In fact, I can't any way in the new inbox of jumping to a historical email. If I can remember that I received an email at the beginning of last month, I don't seem to have any way of jumping right to it - previously I could just scroll to the right point or go to the right page.

Please consider adding back in either pagination or viewport scrolling, as infinite scroll is not a suitable technique for an email inbox.

3,763 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Sam shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

211 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

its soooooooooooo hard to get to the older emails back dated..i kept scrolling and scrolling down and it sooooooooo low and usually it laggs or it froze for awhile before i can scroll down again plz plz plz put page numbers from newest to older dates coz using SEARCH box is difficult coz i dont even remember the titles or the names of the senders and what topic i am after

• Daniel Bryant commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

infinite scrolling is finite, with no page two. How do I actually search for things with this interface?

• cyn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

FIX THIS NOW!!!!

THE ONLY WAY I CAN SEE MORE THAN THE FIRST 10 EMAILS IS TO MAKE THE FONT SIZE SO FRIGGIN TINY THAT I CAN BARELY READ IT...AND THEN THIS DOESN'T EVEN FIX THE PROBLEM COMPLETELY

MAKE IT SO i CAN GET TO MY OLD E-MAILS WITHOUT IT RESETING YOU AMATURES THAT CAN'T EVEN GET THAT RIGHT.

• Jay Adams commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is anyone out there working with Microsoft to solve this browser scrolling problem? If so, do you have a status update? Does anyone know if the update to Outlook on 11/30/18 (Outlook team are rolling out a new UI for Outlook.com) is addressing this problem. The questions in my emails submitted via the hotmail/outlook web page, and my phone call to MS Support have gotten irrelevant answers, such as use your mobile device and use the Outlook App in Office 365.

• Kase commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I cannot get my older emails, and its taken me 10 minutes to just get this comment typed, due to bad service. I used to like my hotmail....what happened???

Today is 12.3.18 It has been over a month since this nightmare began and continues worse day after day.
    Effortless email?
    It became the nightmare email thanks to the brainless activities of a few ********* who believed in colorful BS rather than simplicity.
    This is the worse experience in email access EVER!
    All thanks to those genius who could be cleaning bathrooms rather than attempting to make things easier.
    But who cares!
    We the clients, the users, the customers have no rights and continue being abused by these ******** who should be "FIRED"
    Want to fix things quickly?
    Go back to the previous=classic version!
    It was working just perfectly!

Please do not send us any "bones" to pacify us.
    Do not tell us that the improvements are appreciated because nothing changed thus far has been a source of expediency, timing, or efficiency for me or anyone.
    Many times I said: what it used to take me 20 minutes NOW with this horrendous pile of **** it is taking me over 3 hours. CAN ANYONE READ this clearly?
    Can anyone relates to that?
    Come on people rise up!
    Is that an improvement?
    Is that efficiency?

& you @ Microsoft/Outlook continue ignoring our messages...that's even more ignorant, abusive & predatory than the Banking system. Sitting on your *****, reading our comments & not being able to press a button to return to normal. What a group of ******** genius!

• thissen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What a mess ! Do you want to lose all your PC-customers and concentrate only on Phones???
    Deeply sad:

- I have years of e-mails but ... can't point my mouse halfway the screen to get a few years back in time, nor can I "GoTo" a specific date and scrool from there.
    YOU CAN'T EXPECT ME TO SCROLL FOR HALF AN HOUR ???!!!

Was this tested at all???

• bhogya@hotmail.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have asked for help with same problem. Received answer that was not at all related. I want to be able to jump to the old pages to delete and clean out my inbox like I used to do.

Scroll is really screwed up for me.. All my emails just blink and disappear.. The page turns white.. When it stops, I go to click on an email and all the emails disappear and page turns white again... Help doesn't work either.. I can't even click on the icons on the right sidebar.. What a mess. I'm going to try and change all my important emails to a different email like gmail.. I can't deal with this anymore..

• Jeanine Horntvedt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree! Please help! This overruling can`t be legal! Important conversations, finding legal documents - all is lost! What on earth! ?

The new Outlook.com: Mail

Feedback and Knowledge Base