OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

Infinite scroll makes it impossible to get to old emails

Previous iterations of outlook.com have used pagination or viewport scrolling to allow me to accurately jump to any point in the middle of my inbox. The new layout, however, uses infinite scrolling, meaning that if I want to view a message more than a few days old, I have to scroll to the bottom, wait for a few messages to load, scroll to the bottom, wait for more messages to load, ad infinitum.

In fact, I can't any way in the new inbox of jumping to a historical email. If I can remember that I received an email at the beginning of last month, I don't seem to have any way of jumping right to it - previously I could just scroll to the right point or go to the right page.

Please consider adding back in either pagination or viewport scrolling, as infinite scroll is not a suitable technique for an email inbox.

3,754 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Sam shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

209 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Dude commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How to stop my email from scrolling up and down at a high rate of speed and end up at the bottom of the page.

• edu51 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I still did not receive anything from you guys. Also, this is old but: TURN ON THE PAGE VIEW ON MESSAGES. CAN NOT DEAL WITH THIS "INFINITE" SCROLL THING!

• edx1999@hotmail.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Jump to page. Please bring back the Jump To Page feature where I can jump to a certain page of mail. I am trying to sort and clean up 24k of emails and with the Jump To Page missing it is terribly frustrating to have more mails constantly appearing at the bottom of the page as I scroll. I need to select a batch of mails and when it opens up at the bottom I can't even use PageDown and Shift to select the emails or even see them. Please bring back and option to list the mails by page instead of adding to the bottom of the page which makes it very hard if not impossible to select.

• Dev Dev commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I disagree. You should keep it as it is. But adding Go To specific date is necessary. it will resolve the OP problem too (I believe)

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

how can I get pages in my account instead of one long string of thousands of email?

• Curt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft: when will this be resolved? Need it for my 2018 taxes....

• Julian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Completely agree with all the complaints (e.g. constant re-loading, loss of Date Range search etc) about Infinite Scroll ...
    and that Users should be able to choose Pages - and stick to Pages.

FYI there IS a way to see Inbox in Pages - and to search old emails.
    Download an old-style Browser called Lunascape6.

It gets around many of these problems -and has a UI a bit like old Hotmail....BUT....
    .... it lacks any text formatting.

• sunshineprint commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have troubles with the same problem, who designed the idea to have 1000 emails on the same page? what need to improve? you just simply bring back the pagination function then i'll thank goodness. Right now it's too hard to find an old email, i need to scroll the infinite email list, it has really sickened me. Now please bring back the pagination function at once, 1 page with 50 emails listed will be proper.

• sunshineprint commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

the email list can not be separated to be many pages, very inconvenient!!!
    how can you find old an old email when 1000 emails listed on just 1 page?

Please please give us the option to go back to the old style where we could click through the inbox in sections rather than this infinite scroll

• bschuerman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any updates on this. Outlook.com infinite scrolling has made my mail unusable. I've been using outlook since 2000 and so I have a LOT of old mail. I completely refuse to use a mail application. I work on too many computers constantly (3 - 5 in a given week in different locations) so it is not feasible to use Outlook or email app on every single one of them!

Please allow inbox to have pages, or months, or years as subdivisions to allow easier scanning and locating of emails

• Marisa Blumenthal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add in pages for the inbox instead of having it continuously scroll. I have so many emails and it takes forever to load and is inefficient in general.

• mohammad daneshmanesh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

l am unable to scroll down to my email 2 or 3 years ago. the infinite scroll is taking very very very long time to get to any of my past email, please could anybody help me to overcome this problem caused by stupid design of soft ware by outlook.
    Please help.

• JL commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There was NO need to chante what worked reasonably well. Especial y, when in mobile devices you cannot chante the settings (there is no Gear icon).
    I wonder if you want old, long-time users to leave Hotmail.

• Brandy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I never cared for endless scrolling. I liked it when we had page numbers so you could jump around looking at whatever page you wanted & definitely was easier to find older emails, etc. I definitely want endless scrolling gone & page numbers back. Bring back page numbers.

• Zak_W commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The page can't/won't scroll down far enough to see all my emails

← Previous 1 3 4 5 10 11

The new Outlook.com: Mail

Feedback and Knowledge Base