OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

Infinite scroll makes it impossible to get to old emails

Previous iterations of outlook.com have used pagination or viewport scrolling to allow me to accurately jump to any point in the middle of my inbox. The new layout, however, uses infinite scrolling, meaning that if I want to view a message more than a few days old, I have to scroll to the bottom, wait for a few messages to load, scroll to the bottom, wait for more messages to load, ad infinitum.

In fact, I can't any way in the new inbox of jumping to a historical email. If I can remember that I received an email at the beginning of last month, I don't seem to have any way of jumping right to it - previously I could just scroll to the right point or go to the right page.

Please consider adding back in either pagination or viewport scrolling, as infinite scroll is not a suitable technique for an email inbox.

3,638 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Sam shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

178 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Dev Dev commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I disagree. You should keep it as it is. But adding Go To specific date is necessary. it will resolve the OP problem too (I believe)

• Curt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft: when will this be resolved? Need it for my 2018 taxes....

• Julian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Completely agree with all the complaints (e.g. constant re-loading, loss of Date Range search etc) about Infinite Scroll ...
    and that Users should be able to choose Pages - and stick to Pages.

FYI there IS a way to see Inbox in Pages - and to search old emails.
    Download an old-style Browser called Lunascape6.

It gets around many of these problems -and has a UI a bit like old Hotmail....BUT....
    .... it lacks any text formatting.

• sunshineprint commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have troubles with the same problem, who designed the idea to have 1000 emails on the same page? what need to improve? you just simply bring back the pagination function then i'll thank goodness. Right now it's too hard to find an old email, i need to scroll the infinite email list, it has really sickened me. Now please bring back the pagination function at once, 1 page with 50 emails listed will be proper.

• bschuerman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any updates on this. Outlook.com infinite scrolling has made my mail unusable. I've been using outlook since 2000 and so I have a LOT of old mail. I completely refuse to use a mail application. I work on too many computers constantly (3 - 5 in a given week in different locations) so it is not feasible to use Outlook or email app on every single one of them!

• mohammad daneshmanesh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

l am unable to scroll down to my email 2 or 3 years ago. the infinite scroll is taking very very very long time to get to any of my past email, please could anybody help me to overcome this problem caused by stupid design of soft ware by outlook.
    Please help.

• JL commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There was NO need to chante what worked reasonably well. Especial y, when in mobile devices you cannot chante the settings (there is no Gear icon).
    I wonder if you want old, long-time users to leave Hotmail.

• Brandy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I never cared for endless scrolling. I liked it when we had page numbers so you could jump around looking at whatever page you wanted & definitely was easier to find older emails, etc. I definitely want endless scrolling gone & page numbers back. Bring back page numbers.

• Zak_W commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The page can't/won't scroll down far enough to see all my emails

• cvsafety commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Win10 still cannot control scroll so cant see emails past the first 10, this problem has existed for quite a while, why is there no solution yet

• patriciaferber commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want my old Outlook back! My computer is barely working and e-mailing is making me want to scream! Shame on you in changing to your ideas of what we want!

• JC commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I guess you are still "working on" fixing the scrolling problem. As you work on it, my undeleted old email keeps growing and growing. I am not going to scroll/wait, scroll/wait, and scroll/wait to get to the old email I want to delete. Are you anywhere closer to having this problem fixed?

• Genevieve commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

j ai le même problème et c'est vraiment TRES TRES CHIANT. A quand la résolution de ce qui n'est qu'un bug ou le fruit d'un cahier des charges ficelé à la va vite sans tenir compte d'une utilisation sensée !!!!

• jonathanstilp commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is really stressful. Could we get a "guess-timated" time to have this fixed? Because you guys really screwed sh*t up.

• Wendy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The display jumps all around and I can't select an email easily. The scrolling is unusable and slow if I can get it to work at all.

There's no way to select emails to delete unless you want to select them individually or select everything in the in-box (who would even want to do that?).

Why would Microsoft think less functionality was a good thing? I hate this new Outlook and it is very frustrating to use to the point where I find it almost useless. I've had a paid account for over 20 years, but I am not paying for this version. I'm disgusted with it.

• Elizabeth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Additionally, you could add a 'Go to' feature which you click on and insert the date you want to go to in your emails.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How about...instead of another update that we don't really want...you actually roll-back to the version of HOTMAIL, not Outlook, that we actually want!

• bettyboop5757 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

also, infinite scrolling makes it impossible to choose a smaller number of emails to delete, If I place a check box in the Inbox, it checks all of them, listerally thousands of them, I do not want to delete all of my emails, I want to delete 25-30 at a time. Can you change the inbox check back to checking only about 30 emails and not all? otherwise, it is too time consuming for me to go down each page and click on each individual email that I want to delete. Help!

• kts-10 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

WHAT ABOUT CHANGING IT BACK TO THE WAY IT WAS???? We didn't have half these problems before you made the last barrel of changes.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 8 9

The new Outlook.com: Mail

Feedback and Knowledge Base