OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

Infinite scroll makes it impossible to get to old emails

Previous iterations of outlook.com have used pagination or viewport scrolling to allow me to accurately jump to any point in the middle of my inbox. The new layout, however, uses infinite scrolling, meaning that if I want to view a message more than a few days old, I have to scroll to the bottom, wait for a few messages to load, scroll to the bottom, wait for more messages to load, ad infinitum.

In fact, I can't any way in the new inbox of jumping to a historical email. If I can remember that I received an email at the beginning of last month, I don't seem to have any way of jumping right to it - previously I could just scroll to the right point or go to the right page.

Please consider adding back in either pagination or viewport scrolling, as infinite scroll is not a suitable technique for an email inbox.

3,903 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Sam shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

221 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Getting my e-mails X2; hate this new version.
    Two times the spam; two times the junk.
    Do a good thing and change it back the way it was!!!!

• tcdixon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

AGREED! Its a nightmare to work with. Shows empty but still emials in folder.. can t find them, takes forever to load.
    Then when you want to delete in Bulk, you lose everything! Terrible display option.

• HenryGohKH commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same problem. I cannot access my emails to get things done! Put the emails in pages, so that the inbox can load correctly!
    If in doubt, learn from gmail.

What ever new updates you have done are terrible. I now get each of my emails 2 times and the new emails are usually somewhere on the bottom of the list. Don't know why but I am not a computer geek and I am going to ditch Outlook and try something a little more user friendly like Gmail or something.

• adamsma63 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You are about to lose the business of a major Company with over 10,000 employees because the new Outlook is very glitchy and does not allow you to scroll back more than about 10 emails at a time before reloading. It has basically rendered Outlook unusable!

• Gi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

hotmail.com does not work like a normal email anymore. Everybody in Europe says so.
    It's jumping up and down permanently, you can't find older emails anymore, SPAM is overwhelming you....what is going on?
    Is the company sold? No employees anymore?
    Is this the new outlook?
    BTW, my company Outlook (paid and expensive) is also not working anymore as before!!
    br Gi

• Elaine Dalgarno commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be helpful if Outlook allowed you to search between dates, this would allow users to find older emails. Also allow a date to be entered instead of having to click back one month at a time, I honestly can't believe a developer would not think of this!!! When the "between" dates are selected (eventually by clicking 100 times to get the month/year) no emails are found as it's expecting other search criteria, also very unhelpful

• Mona Charitou commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just put it in the options! Let us choose Infinite scroll or pagination. It surely can't be so difficult. In fact, just do that for all changes; give us a choice as to whether to use the new version or the old. Then you keep people happy and get an instant vote on your new features.

• Tim Maiden commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Are the people saying they can't go to a specific point not aware of the filters available when you click into the search bar?

1) Click into search bar
    2) Click "Filter" in the top right of the search bar
    3) Choose "Date From and "Date To" values
    4) Click "Search"

• Dude commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How to stop my email from scrolling up and down at a high rate of speed and end up at the bottom of the page.

• edu51 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I still did not receive anything from you guys. Also, this is old but: TURN ON THE PAGE VIEW ON MESSAGES. CAN NOT DEAL WITH THIS "INFINITE" SCROLL THING!

• edx1999@hotmail.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Jump to page. Please bring back the Jump To Page feature where I can jump to a certain page of mail. I am trying to sort and clean up 24k of emails and with the Jump To Page missing it is terribly frustrating to have more mails constantly appearing at the bottom of the page as I scroll. I need to select a batch of mails and when it opens up at the bottom I can't even use PageDown and Shift to select the emails or even see them. Please bring back and option to list the mails by page instead of adding to the bottom of the page which makes it very hard if not impossible to select.

• Dev Dev commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I disagree. You should keep it as it is. But adding Go To specific date is necessary. it will resolve the OP problem too (I believe)

how can I get pages in my account instead of one long string of thousands of email?

• Curt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft: when will this be resolved? Need it for my 2018 taxes....

• Julian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Completely agree with all the complaints (e.g. constant re-loading, loss of Date Range search etc) about Infinite Scroll ...
    and that Users should be able to choose Pages - and stick to Pages.

FYI there IS a way to see Inbox in Pages - and to search old emails.
    Download an old-style Browser called Lunascape6.

It gets around many of these problems -and has a UI a bit like old Hotmail....BUT....
    .... it lacks any text formatting.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 11 12

The new Outlook.com: Mail

Feedback and Knowledge Base