Rules are not working
my email rule is not work
Thank you, everyone, for reporting this issue to us. We understand the frustration around this issue that has been ongoing for some time, and are working to track down issues.
In order to help us pinpoint issues, please be as descriptive as possible in highlighting what your specific issue is when posting a comment.
In the meanwhile, here are some instructions and help to attempt to mitigate issues with your Mailbox:
- In order to create rules: 1) Right-click on a specific email and select “Create rule”. 2) Select the overflow menu in the top menu bar and click “Create rule”. 3) Click “Settings” → “Mail” → “Rules” → “Add new rules”
- Rules run in order from top to bottom on your rules list in the rules settings page. If you have a rule created with the option “Stop processing more rules” (enabled by default), once that rule condition is met, no further rules will be applied in your list. In order to change the priority of rules running, click the up or down arrows on any rule on the rules settings page.
- In order to create rules looking for recurring keywords, under the “Add a condition” step, select one or more conditions under the “Keywords” header.
- To verify your rule is active and running, please ensure the toggle is set to the blue “On” position on the rules settings page.
- To block unwanted spam by a specific sender address, either 1) right-click on an email and click “Block” or 2) Select “Junk” → “Block”
- To block unwanted spam by an entire domain, select “Settings” → “Mail” → “Junk email”, and under the “Blocked senders and domains” section, select “Add”. Ensure the domain you wish to block only includes the address following the @ character in an email address. For example: “fourthcoffee.com“
Hi There. I am trying to set up rules that filter through projects numbers in email subjects. Each email will have a project number somewhere in the subject. 13945 as an example. Therefore, I am trying to create a rule that filters through all inbox emails that contain this number in its subject. I run the rules periodically manually through the "run rules now"option. It does not pick up the text in the subject. Please assist.
27th July 2020.
The problem persists, the rules do not work, even there are no shifts in this regard. I don’t understand how difficult it is to do :(. And unfortunately I have to go to Gmail
Louis Teo commented
24th July 2020. There is still no solutions. I am flooded by 100s of e-mails. I created rules to sort them but it is freaking not working! please sort it out as you have all the highly paid engineers.
This is NOT COMPLETED. I'm going to move our company's emails when we buy new software.
MELISSA JOHNSON commented
RULES ARE NOT ACCESSABLE AT ALL IN SETTINGS, BY RIGHT CLICKING, OR THE TOP MENU "OVERFLOW MENU". SAD THIS IS STILL BROKEN AFTER ATLEAST A YEAR. TODAYS DATE IS 5/28/20. I CANNOT CREATE A RULE AT ALL.
Pat Babcock commented
4/5/2020 and rules still do not work in Outlook 365. Worked fine before we upgraded...
Why do the rules not work at all? If i print out a diagnostic report, can some techy look at it?
Same here... any kind of filter does barely work: spam filter, blocked senders filter, allowed senders filter, etc.; and rules only seems to be applied once per day, so any attempt at blocking something undesired is frustrating; also, it seem that rules on outlook.com are case-sensitive. Yes, I have deleted rules and filters and created them again, and again, and again for years, old and new interface, and somehow, this particular problem never gets solved, so something blocked remains blocked forever, as it should be
Can you please assist with the process to fix the Rules in Outlook for Mac...
I cannot seem to find any answers as to how to solve this huge problem..
Please can you help ASAP>
Sai Venkata commented
Rules are not working
[Deleted User] commented
16 pages detailing the same year old complaint about Outlook Rules not working and yet no progress has been made by Microsoft. Glad you guys don't run a hospital.
I have created multiple rules, keywords to block, and blocked emails and I'm bombarded now with about two hundred spam a day from the same insurance, ED, hot beauties, diabetes destroyer, timeshare buyer, we buy homes, one firming fruit, and dozens more cycling topics so you know it's the same perpetrator and NOTHING WORKS. I need Outlook to stop this onslaught of spam or else I can no longer use the account, useful emails that end up in Junk I can't even find. Microsoft PLEASE DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS. I've reported the sextortion spams to the FTC since they demand money.
my rules are set and when I finish and click on Run Rule, nothing happens. Also for every rule I clear the checkbox that says "Stop processing more rules", when I go back to the rule it's checked even I cleared it multiple time. This it totally USELESS
I right click> click create rule. Nothing Happens
i also tried clicking the tree dots on the top bar> click create rule. Again nothing happens. my screen stays the absolute same
Your response from January 2019 is almost a full year ago, yet none of the rules I am setting work on junk mail. Also despite them being setup directly at my admin page, I still seem to need to set them up AGAIN locally - this is very tedious and extremely annoying.
The stupid option for "stop processing more rules" is always clicked! Even when I want to unclick it so it can keep processing more rules it AUTOMATICALLY STAYS CLICKED!!! Why the **** is this simple system so broken????
right-click on email and select "create rule". Nothing happens
Hey @Colin from Outlook Customer Support, any status on this issue? I have the same experience that everyone below here has which summarises to: rules used to work, all of a sudden stopped working, now we have enormous amounts of spam. It also means that your default
suggestions to solve the issue, does not work: the problem runs deeper. Anything you can share with us about this?
Abi Normal commented
Rules that are supposed to filter on subject are not working.
I have arule that filters "sent only to me" and "from email@example.com" and "move it to the Something folder". This works fine, but if I try adding a subject filter the rule no longer works AT ALL.
I've tried "with specific words in the subject" and "except if the subject contains" and neither works.
when I send emails from Yahoo or Gmail to other Hotmail accounts they have suddenly started to land in the Hotmail Spam bos. Why?