OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

Keep Sorting when navigating between folders

When coming back to Inbox from another folder, the e-mails are no longer sorted by Sender, and revert back to default sorting by date. I want Outlook.com to remember how I want my messages sorted in each folder.

76 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Carlos R. Vargas shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

51 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • D pure dragonoid commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Settings won't stay how I would like them to be. For some reason they reset every time I re-open my email. For example I do not want to see if in the mails have attachments, but that setting just resets every time.

• Bruce commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why do my inbox preference settings change when I exit the inbox and then come back into my inbox?

• suedale40 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sort Emails By Name Not Date
    My mail used to be sorted by Name. Suddenly, it started coming in sorted by Date. I checked and my settings are set to Sort By Name. This did not solve the problem. I have to resort every time I open my mailbox, and every time I open a different folder, it’s out of sort again. I would like all my emails in all my folders to be Sorted By Name --- and stay that way.

• Ray Herring commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It really irritates me that you invested developer time working up a "feature" to suggest GIFs to insert into my email. It took me a while to figure out why some words in the mail were turning blue with out my highlighting them.
    It's cute, cool, exciting, and COMPLETELY worthless to me compared to OUTLOOK retaining my SORTING preferences. And I'm going to bet there would be less development effort to implement (re-implement) the preferences. Of course, that's not NEW, NOVEL, COOL, ****, it's just USEFUL

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

wish the filter would stay applied when I open and close an email - instead after I open and close an email it defaults back to sorted by date - I want to keep it sorted by from!

• Pedro Pereira commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When I use a filter, for example, to only show unread messages I would like to be able to keep the filter until I decide to remove it. After applying the unread filter, when I go to, for example, junk folder and then return to my inbox, the unread filter is gone. It would be nice to let it stay there until I remove it, just like in GMAIL

You clearly did not understand. I am not reporting the totally annoying inability of OutLook to remember my sorting preference. although I do consider that a bug.
    I am reporting the behaviour of the page refreshing and jumping to the InBox when I have an email on display.
    I am in the middle of reading an email and then suddenly I am looking at the inbox. The email I was reading is not in the InBox listing in the tree to the left. Then I 'resort' the list and the email reappears in the list. I can then reopen and continue reading.
    This happens to me at least daily. Windows 10 Pro and Windows 7 Ent. both with Chrome.

• Barb Dowdy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I keep changing my filter preference for sorting in a file folder but it never keeps it and I don't see a way to save it?

Please Fix the UI.
    I use Chrome 71 on Windows 10 Pro.
    Outlook frequently (like more than once a day)
    1. Jumps from an email I am viewing to display the inbox
    2. returns to the default sort order
    3. the displayed inbox does not include the email I was viewing.
    4. When I resort the inbox the email re-appears in the list.

When I filter by unread emails and open an email I don't want to have to use the filter every time I go back to the inbox

• Jerry Sweeney commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For reasons that pass understanding, posting the first message at the top must be re-initiated every day.

• Corrie T commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i wish there was a way to change the default "sort by" filter settings - every time i log in i need to change my preference from Date to Sent from

Keep my filter in place. I want my messages sorted by sender. Every time I switch screens, I have to re-set it when I return. It's a pain.

• Daniel Hoffman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I prefer to sort my inbox by 'From', rather than chronologically.
    In every previous version of Outlook.com, I only had to select this ONCE, and it was saved as my preference, and the page opened that way every time I visited it.
    Now, even if I browse to a different folder and back to the inbox, it reverts to sorting chronologically.
    I've contacted support about this apparent bug - since it worked fine in the previous version - and received this official response:

Here's the official response to this question from Outlook Support:

"I was able to recreate the problem you are having. We were able to check after selecting any sort option, whatever your choice is, this will revert back to the default. This is actually not a problem but rather a function that was omitted in the latest version. I understand that you have able to sort it permanently on the Classic version."

So....this isn't a bug, it's actually a feature? How is it a feature that this new version does LESS than the old one? Absolutely ridiculous!

• m001m001@hotmail.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How do I permanently set message display to sender order? I had done so before you messed up the email system. Now, I have to reset EVERY time that I access the inbox - even when I just look at another folder and return. This is a big nuisance. Please help!

• Jay Knutson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The selected Filter Sort preferences should be permanently saved as they did on the old version. I shouldn't have to change it each time I access my email.

• flamingonut commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Seriously, I am sick and tired of having to re-sort each and every time I log in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I complained about this AGES ago when the beta came out and explicitly went back to the original version because of this issue. I just got forced onto the new version today and this is honestly such an annoying feature. Please fix this Outlook!!

• Denis Brossard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sort is not remembered on a folder. You have to resort every time you go to a folder you have to choose your sort option.

← Previous 1 3

The new Outlook.com: Mail

Feedback and Knowledge Base