OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

Display Modes for Density or Compact

isn't it possible to have more compact view? menus are taking lots of space in screen and way too annoying.

5,842 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

fprstn@outlook.com shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I again thank each and everyone of you for using Outlook.com and for providing all of your feedback. I wanted to let you know that as of today we have enabled Density settings. There are three modes which control how tight and how much information is shown on the screen.

To change the density settings click on the gear in the top right (settings). In the pane that opened you should see three setting Full, Medium and Compact.

Hope this helps address some of the concerns around white space :)

Thanks again,

David Los

1481 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • ariich@hotmail.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Completely agreed, for me it only displays little over half the Folders the old Outlook displayed, making it more fiddly for me especially when moving emails to folders (which I do a lot). There's no need for them to be so spaced out.

• David Stern commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There is much more space between messages in the inbox than before. This means fewer fit on the screen at once. I preferred having less space between each row, so more email messages fit on the screen. They were perfectly legible before, and I could see more of them at once without scrolling/paging.

• Back End commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Have same issue, I did write a feedback thing, a windows 10 Start menu solution would fit more. U select a folder or A-Z > Letter of folder u want

or u just hit the letter (like you do it in Windows explorer if u go trough u folders)

• Matei Goga commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

the conversation list should be 1-liners like in the old layout - the density was perfect

• andrew ku commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can see at a glance 20-30 email titles. The beta show only 8 on same size page. Wastes my time to click through 3 pages when I can see it all on 1. Try 3 original pages vs clicking on 9. This beta is horribly inefficient.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The rows of messages are too wide. I would like more messages to fit on my screen.

Email line size is too large.

Even when hiding preview text, hiding reading pane and not showing attachments, the size of the line is too large. I use to see 20+ emails on the screen, now I only see 10.

We now have less screen to announce the number of emails we have.

• Googl User from Hotmail commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The sidebar icons look very ugly and bland compared to the ones on the current Outlook.com. Also, they are too many sidebars compared with the current UI.

• Kay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed. Please make the sender name larger with the text in reading pane smaller.

• Roy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Maybe it's easier for small devices to view these emails, but for us with regular monitor it's too spaced out with less email (7 emails) in view.

It makes it harder to see what is more important email to read if you get a lot of new emails every time you check the email

• Kaan Meric commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, these days it is "cool" and "in to have a lot of white background, huge fonts, and huge empty space between lines..

If one tries to look at any kind of list of items, you end up scrolling around like crazy regardless of how big screen you have...very strange logic..it is efficient to show a little info as possible..?! NOT!

• Jim Hutchins commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Recommendation/Request: Increase the message density such that at least 29 messages (and preferably more) can be seen on a 1080p screen with the preview pane off.

On a 1080P screen, with the preview panes off:

On the beta, you can only see 19 messages.
    On the old version, you can see 29 messages.
    On Gmail, in the compact view, you can see 36 messages.
    On Yahoo, you can see 31 messages.

Too little fits on the opening screen opening screen, even after turning off the preview pane.
    I have a handful of pinned messages, a couple with attachments (which display as a full icon). This alone takes up most of the screen, then add the needless "Today, Yesterday" sub-headers only one new email fits on the whole screen.

• S. Lewis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Re arranging or changing folders should be much easier.
    I can't even find my folders most of the time, as they are
    'buried' under another folder.

• D commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Folders list should be "tighter"... **less space** between folder names -- so see more at a glance, not need to scroll down

• James Page commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My first impression of the Outlook.com beta version is that it displays too few email messages per screen and requires too much scrolling to find what I'm looking for. I immediately attempted to switch back. JP

• Kain Monty commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please Redesign the Icons make all the icons less compact, a little bolder.

For the Calendar instead of the squares make it show the date.

For the Contacts make it one person instead of two to make it fit in better.

For Mail make it less squashed expand it a little.

For Photos get rid of the dot in the icon which I believe represents the sun.

For the To Do List, icon centralise the tick.

The new Outlook.com: Mail

Feedback and Knowledge Base