OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

Display Modes for Density or Compact

isn't it possible to have more compact view? menus are taking lots of space in screen and way too annoying.

5,842 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

fprstn@outlook.com shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I again thank each and everyone of you for using Outlook.com and for providing all of your feedback. I wanted to let you know that as of today we have enabled Density settings. There are three modes which control how tight and how much information is shown on the screen.

To change the density settings click on the gear in the top right (settings). In the pane that opened you should see three setting Full, Medium and Compact.

Hope this helps address some of the concerns around white space :)

Thanks again,

David Los

1482 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Diogo Costa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The first thing I do when I enter Outlook is to resize the browser to 80%. Much better and similar to the previous version.

• Greg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There are some downgrades associated with the new version (and some upgrades too -- thanks!).
    Could you 1) have a more compact version where I can view more of my e-mails (summary level) at one time versus less? and 2) can you either revert to the old most recent "move to" list or, if not, just include the complete list of folders in the first drop down? The new version creates more steps/clicks then the old one in both of these cases and I prefer the older, more productive version options. thanks

• Kay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

AGREE - I need to be able to come Hotmail and get some work done, not have to reformat the screen over and over

• stefbaxter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't like the new layout. It's stressing me out. How can i get it back to the way it was..

• Rebecca K commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

David Los: Since the original posters request for more density, MS outlook has added even more white space, wider subject line as and a chunkier layout. Are you still working on it?!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can't forward anything, I can't retrieve certain drafts. And, can't find out how to do it. Making an attachment doesn't work either. Please fix this.

• Beth Stophel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is awful. Emails delete without me deleting them, then I have to go to the delete folder to get them back. Other windows open when looking at emails, its just awful

• martin-pereyra commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't like it at all. And it's very hard to tell the read from the undread e-mails when marking them to erase the read e-mails because the unread e-mails have the same tone of blue than the rest of the window. That's awful and it may make you erase some important e-mail that, although is already read, may be important for you. In general I'm in favour of changes and upgrades, but this is something I don't like at all and I think it's making things worse

why cant i delete messages in small groups ,now i have to delete one at a time or everything ,what a load of shite ,just put it back how it was

• Andrea Brown commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The colorful initials and logo circles are a complete waste of space and look like you designed them for someone in preschool. Can't believe somebody approved this update and gets to keep his/her job. This is the dumbest, most useless thing I've ever seen.

deleted items Why do you save the emails in the deleted filed after I empty it??????????????????????????

• batman6972 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

New format is awful! we do not need graphic enhancements that use up our computers memory ram. How do I go back to classic. (classic = professional looking, not childish). also deleting mass emails on new format sucks. I see you have to hover over with mouse to select, but what if I am using my finger on tablet or touch screen. bring back old!!! if not broke don't fix.

The new Outlook.com: Mail

Feedback and Knowledge Base