OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

Display Modes for Density or Compact

isn't it possible to have more compact view? menus are taking lots of space in screen and way too annoying.

5,704 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

fprstn@outlook.com shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

First off, I want to thank everyone for providing feedback about spacing/whitespace/density controls. This is indeed something that we are evaluating and designing. At this time I don’t have an exact time frame for when this will be available, but we will keep this item updated as we progress with this work.

Thanks again for the feedback, and for using Outlook.com. Keep the great feedback coming.

David Los

1431 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • solvs@hotmail.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"Working on it".

In other words, "we know you hate it and we don't care, but we're going to pretend to until you get used to it or leave". Because your users have been complaining about this since you first tried to change it, but it isn't getting any better.

• Joe Persek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"Working on it" for six months now. This is a serious issue with usability of this product. Please make this a priority.

• Joe Persek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree completely with the recent comments on this. It is a major bug and needs immediate attention. It has been several months with no change despite the "working on it" tag. Please fix it already. Please.

• Warren commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

this really is a massive bug for me classic had tight line spaces that displayed lots more emails those stupid coloured blobs that serve no purpose apart from annoying people can be removed but the space they occupied remains that causes the big gaps between messages. its now march this problem has been there since we were forced to adopt this poor upgrade.

• Jm wilson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We've run out of patience. Just fix this spacing problem. It is even more ridiculous in the Compose page. Absolutely unacceptable.

• Jm wilson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

l AM NOT PATIENT ANYMORE. You have had months and months to fix this. It is a fatal flaw as far as I am concerned. Even worse is the triple spaced Compose page. JUST FIX IT.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just switched from Windows Live Mail. Miss the emoji option. Any chance of getting one on the ribbon? :(

Just switched from Windows Live Mail to Outlook. I find the need to scroll to see all mail in the inbox very annoying. Seems like there is much wasted space. Look forward to info on how to condense.

Can't collapse any of the side bars and it makes it super frustrating to try to read emails. It's ridiculous. This is why I use outlook as my "junk" email. Can't use it for anything actually worthwhile.

• alexhuber@invina.net commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Too much space between folders and lines. I have a new fancy huge screen but cannot see what I used to see on the much smaller old screen. HELP.

• JohnF commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What a totally useless display of white space without any option to select a more compact view in the web Outlook. Hopeless design.

Options required please.

• András Csirmaz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd like to have a compact mode where everything takes up just the amount of space it really requires and drops all sorts of extra padding. Sometimes screen-space is precious and one just prefers horizontal layout (reading pane at the bottom).

• megaoke commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The spaces are too big in between each message. How do i make them smaller?

• kpchinn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Even after turning off sender pictures, previews etc., and reducing the font size to make the page more compact, the new layout, spacing and icons make this much harder to read at a glance than the old version. I hate it. Looks like it's finally time to move on to gmail.

• Julian Firkins commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please make this a priority. Way too much space between lines in the Inbox. I now see about a third of the emails I used to see.

• RM commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There's been yet another pointless update overnight and now there's too much space between lines so I can only see half the messages in my inbox and when I open a message I have two sets of Reply, Reply All, Forward buttons. One set at the top in the ribbon where it's supposed to be and another set on the right of the message pane. Yet the message header reads off the screen if its too long and I have to search for who else the message went to which is more important than another set of stupid buttons. When I start a new message I get these three really wide text boxes for sender, subject details etc. What exactly is the point of all this? It doesn't help the vision impaired at all as its flat and all blended together. Frustrated beyond belief now. It's just annoying and distracting.

• a_davi@msn.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How can I adjust line spacing in Outlook email? I do not see the format text icon. Driving me insane!

← Previous 1 3 4 5 71 72

The new Outlook.com: Mail

Feedback and Knowledge Base