OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

back to inbox

When I delete an email, I don't want to go to previous or next email. I want it to go back to my inbox. When I select do nothing, it stays on the deleted email and I have to click on Inbox to verify it was deleted and get back to inbox. The old version just went back to inbox.

356 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
Completed  ·  AdminOWA 3S Query Feedback (Admin, Outlook.com) responded  · 

Thanks for your feedback on the Outlook.com beta! We’re glad to inform that you can change this setting yourself by taking these steps:

1. Go to Quick Settings (gear icon in the top right) → View full settings → Mail → Layout
2. Scroll to the Reading Pane section
3. Under the option: “What do you want to happen when you move or delete the item you are viewing?”, pick the option: “Return to the message list”

If this is the mode you prefer, go right ahead and personalize your Outlook.com that way!

26 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

After clicking into a email and read it, when hit "delete", I do want to go back to the inbox view to see all the emails instead of the next email.

• dfrais commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

on beta, after sending a message, outlook should return to the inbox and not the message being responded to

• Virginia Smedberg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

WHY is the option for after I move or delete an email, "return to list" NOT an available option (inactive button), in settings? the only choices it gives me are to open either the prev or the next. I don't WANT to do EITHER!! I just want the LIST.

• anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When writing or deleting mail from inbox takes so long to complete because everything disappears then appears from screen. I have to wait for screen to come back to focus to continue. Very frustrating and time consuming. Old version much better.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Most definitely What if the next email is a virus. When I read an email I want to choose which one I want to open and read.

• Tim Wendt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

you can go back to the inbox after deleting the currently shown mail. it could be activated under options layout -> what behaviour after deletion of a mail ( select no action). so that the inbox will be shown.

• gud2gud commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This 'new' layout is confusing. Pane to right of email listing is too small to read. Basically the 'new' sucks.

• MRJELMO commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Don't like it. Not easy to navigate. Calendar is a mess. Changes are not necessary. If it isn't broke then leave it alone.

• Terry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Don't like new layout Difficult to navigate Keep loosing emails
    GO BACK TO ORIGINAL

• fred-s commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with this comment entirely. There's an option in the old outlook to choose what behavior occurs when you delete an email, or move it, the default was to go to the next or previous one and I managed to change it, but I forgot how.

Now, for that reason alone, I can't use the beta. I hope it's fixed before beta becomes the new standard.

← Previous 1

The new Outlook.com

Feedback and Knowledge Base