OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

categories with colors in calendar

I liked the previous feature of having categories with different colors in the calendar. Having colors makes it easier for me to know what should be done, compared to charms. eg have a red category for deadlines and a green for completed. that way i briefly scan my calendar page and i know all the information i need.

346 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

el shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

92 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • rozen studio commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The rectangular ‘blocks’ with grey/black text were pretty clear.
    The dotted text is much less clear.

• [Deleted User] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I noticed this functionality is added to Outlook beta. However, I don't need it and don't want to see these categories. When I delete these via the settings menu, they constantly are automaticly added again!

• Nelson A. Morales commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

ok good, because if the colors go, so do I. I am not impressed at all with the new Beta version. if doe less than the current version PLEASE do not go backwards here you will lose a lot of clients.

• Carole Cancler commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Disappointed color categories have been eliminated. I used them to color code my calendar for at-a-glance view of high priority events, business vs. family, etc.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like the calendar the way it was where I could categorize using colors and charms. It makes the calendar more visually pleasant and operationally useful. Things are going to get missed with this beta version because everything looks the same - you can't make the more important things stand out. Please bring back the colors and charms.

In the new viewer, I don;t see my color categories on the emails at quick glance. Must have that no matter what.

• Kameron commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Colors and categories are a Must. If they don't keep them, I will have to look for another calendar app to use.
    I cannot stand not being able to see what I need at a glance.
    I find myself Constantly having to switch between beta, for email, and the older version, for the calendar.

• Kameron commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. That is one of my main reasons for switching back and forth between beta and the old version.

• Rich commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The beta version is a simple 'fail' in almost all ways. I haven't been able to find anything in the beta that is an improvement over what is currently about the best web mail out there.
    Don't simply change something for the sake of change. That's how you lose loyal users.

• ben.walsh@outlook.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The Color Categories feature in Calendar is LITERALLY the most important feature in all of Outlook.com to me. It's the thing that's kept me loyal to Outlook.com for hosting my calendar, which dates back through various exchange servers about 15 years. I trust Outlook.com with this repository of my personal history, categorized and color coded, and if this beta is rolled out which removes color categories within one calendar in favor of one color per calendar I will feel compelled to finally migrate my calendaring over to Google. I beg you not to depreciate this feature.

The previous version of Outlook.com was better than the beta version - what's better about it?

• Soren Helmer Lund commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi,
    When i go to the beta version i missed my calendar entry colors, the categories....
    I use those colors to get an overview.
    Regards
    S�ren

The color categories are the "must have" functionality for any calendar that wants to be usable - current beta release act as a "polished" piece of software.
    Colors enables a quick look on the calendar agenda without having to read every record.

• Troy Gaglardi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have to admit, I'm with Glen.
    If I don't have notes for my meetings, I'll struggle to stay alive. Colour for differentiating between clients/projects and some of the points he mentions are important.
    Glen's post,

GlenAustralia started on January 11, 2018?

Discussion

Features removed in Beta Outlook.com calendar (disappointed)

I�m disappointed to see that a number of key features that I regularly use seem to have been removed in the beta of the Outlook.com Calendar, including:

� categories / colour coding

� the rectangular �blocks� of white-on-colour text in Month view / instead items are just in a wishy-washy pale blue text on white background (the above two features, in combination, make it so easy to distinguish different types of events, and also make multiple day events stand out very clearly)

� the option to show �Today� (or any chosen day) to the right of �Month� view

� removal of �notes� section of events, where you could write things about the event

� removal of options to schedule appointments at non-standard repeating patterns of, for example, �every 2 days� or �every 3 weeks�

� a reduction from 16 to 8 options of how far in advance to receive a reminder pop-up, in particular the removal of options such as 2 hours, 3 hours, 4 hours, 8 hours etc, which are very useful when you have to travel to an appointment.

� removal of the option to send email reminders to oneself in advance of appointments - very handy when away from the calendar but still able to check emails.

� Removal of the search function.

It mystifies me how Microsoft considers this beta to be an improvement? Right now Gmail is looking a whole lot more useful and user-friendly.

I do hope Microsoft can retain the above listed features in the final version because I used to love the calendar app.

Thanks
    Regards
    Glen

The new Outlook.com: Calendar

Feedback and Knowledge Base