OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

categories with colors in calendar

I liked the previous feature of having categories with different colors in the calendar. Having colors makes it easier for me to know what should be done, compared to charms. eg have a red category for deadlines and a green for completed. that way i briefly scan my calendar page and i know all the information i need.

346 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

el shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

92 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Christopher commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

And I cannot uninstall this beta version. I wish I had some control. I do not like things rammed down my throat

• Kevin Ingledue commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a MUST HAVE for me to use this calendar - the current (old) way is monumentally better - the BETA (new) lack of calendar categories colors makes it unusable

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't like the beta calendar. I like to be able to color code my appointments, and I can't see where I can do that in the beta version.

• John Geyer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Your Beta Outllok web calendar does not show in color my categories. The current does show color correctly.

• Wanita Wininger commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thank you for working to add back the category option - I started with an Outlook calendar years (and years ago) and have always thought it was more functional and more organized looking than Google. My employer switched to Google and after several years of putting up with that, I decided to switch back, ie: come home to something that worked better for me!

• Julia Rivas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I run two different sources of employment and my personal life on one calendar and have been able to do this easily because of the coloured categories. At a glance I can see what each appointment is related to (particularly important with two jobs. Don't take them away please.

• Christoph commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please keep the function to categorize - colors for different topics are really valueable. Generally, I like the new version - but that would make it really good :)

• Bjorn Storo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The current Outlook calendar works great. Please do NOT dumb down the new one and strip it of all features!

• Stein Erik Paulsen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I too am lost as to why Microsoft has removed categories from the new calendar. Especialy as it seems categories are back in the new mail. This is rather confusing. I use categories a lot in my Outlook 2016 calendar. Now I have to change the calendar on the web back from beta to be able to see them. Getting away with the big colourful boxes is one thing, but why they had to get rid of categories altogehter I do not get.

• kimduty@msn.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Go back to the 2007 calendar. It worked great - color coding items and it printed in a readable fashion!

Please also add this to the mobile app! Makes figuring out which of my 2 jobs I'm working on which day so much easier :-)

• Diane commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Go back to having the different events shaded in different colors, like the current version. The use of a different type color font is not visually impactful. It is too suble, and it is difficult to look at a month and pick out the events that are part of the specific calendar.

Calendar - I miss colored categories. Thank you for working to bring them back.

• Stein Erik Paulsen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why did you remove categories in the new calendar on the web? Categories are used for both mail and calendar in Outlook 2016. I found the new calendar on the web so less informative, I had to turn off the beta.

• Jenny commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed! This has pretty much made my use of the calendar stop.

The new Outlook.com: Calendar

Feedback and Knowledge Base