OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

categories with colors in calendar

I liked the previous feature of having categories with different colors in the calendar. Having colors makes it easier for me to know what should be done, compared to charms. eg have a red category for deadlines and a green for completed. that way i briefly scan my calendar page and i know all the information i need.

346 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

el shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

92 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Kameron commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

They SAID it could be changed back by right-clicking. It cannot. I tried that. It changed the color to this putrid horror and NOT the color that I would like for it to be. Now, I have to redo the entire event just to get rid of it.

• Judith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. I do the same with events on my calendar. Now I have no idea what is due, what has been paid or important issues. It would be much too time consuming to categorize each event on my calendar back to the way it was. I do not want the beta version. How do I get back the old calendar view so I can keep up with events.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This solution only works when you click on the activity and then vanishes again ...

PLEASE bring back the persistent colur bars -it is a KEY feature for me and a gamechanger for using this system.

• vincent commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Categories in Family Calendar.
    I can no longer categorize my items in the Family Calendar. The context menu with the Categories is greyed out.

• AKHIL DABRAL commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Calendar Items color could be more bright than they are now , try to implement a more bright color scheme

• Justin Wong commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The calendar category colors are super dark and dull and are not contrasting at all. it's very difficult to see the different line items. The old one worked really well in categorizing the different subjects.

Also, Could there be a way to Sort the calendar items by category so i can see all the dental appointments coming up for my family. etc.?

• Scott commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can we make those calendar category colors sync to the outlook iOS app?

• Amy Wyatt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Trying out Outlook.com beta (calendar) again. The way colors (categories) show is really difficult to read. Not sure if there is not enough contrast, but I would like my bright (easy to read) colors back.

• Glen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wow, you make it sound like this is something revolutionary, whereas all you are doing is putting back a fundamental feature that was there before. Now, explain why I have to assign a category as a two step process, by adding the event then right clicking it - whereas before it was part of setting up the event. And while you are at it, how about black text for non-categorised events instead of that wishy-washy blue. Not impressed, Microsoft!

• Bruce Pyle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, but what the beta needs is the ability to FILTER for a selected Category! (Presently, we can see a list of categories in the left column on the screen, but that is gone in the beta.) What good is assigning messages with categories if you can't filter for them and quickly view them all???

@Christopher, that is VERY sad if that is the case, and very arrogant on their part.

• Christopher commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Glen Glen, the option to "switch off" the beta on my desktop calendar does not exist. It appears that Mickeysoft has made the beta permanent for some of us.

You can uninstall, in the sense that you just switch the beta off, "Try the beta / Outlook beta" button in the top right corner. I've left mine off. Oh and thanks for the great tip about Lightning calendar in Thunderbird, I may need that if Microsoft ever dares implement the the beta calendar "improvements" permanently.

• Christopher commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am now using the Lightning calendar in Thunderbird. That calendar permits me to have a colored box around my appointments and that makes the calendar much easier to read, just like the pre-Beta version of Windows calendar. You MS people roll out this stuff and then ask for input and I doubt that the input will matter because I believe that you will do what is in your best interest and not the end users best interest.

← Previous 1 3 4 5

The new Outlook.com: Calendar

Feedback and Knowledge Base