OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

Email Reminder Time Frame Too Limited

In the current outlook.com calendar there is an option to remind you of a calendar event at 5-6 different intervals within a hour and day. There is also the option to remind you at 1, 2, 3, days and 1 or 2 weeks. You can set up multiple reminders per calendar entry. For example you can have a reminder for an entry at 30 minutes, 4 hours, 2 days, or 2 weeks before the event. You can use one or all of those reminders.
Using the beta I created a calendar entry that only gave the option for 5 minutes before the event. Another time a created a different calendar entry and it gave the option for Never, At time of Event, 5, 15, or 30 minutes.

Important Events that I calendar on the day that they occur require me to prepare for them beforehand whether it is a meeting or a project due. Being able to remind me about the Event days or even a week or 2 in advance reminds me about the prep work I need to do without having to add another calendar event specifically about preparing for that upcoming event.

92 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

CS shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

17 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • dmrio@hotmail.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Set default reminder time option. I always create appointments where the default 15 minutes is insufficient. Please let us set our default value for reminder time.

• Bruce Barker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I second most of these comments - reminders took a big step/leap backwards! I really liked the email and custom reminders it had for a while. If they don't put those things back in (and some times between 1 day and 1 week) I'm going to need to move back to Google calendars.

• klaus.kaisersberger@outlook.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Reminder timespans can only be chosen from a fixed set. It would be great to be able to enter alternative timespans by typing, e.g. 17h or 9w or 11min etc., just as in Outlook.

• David Stallings commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When I add a "new event" the reminder for "10 minutes before" has been removed, can you please restore functionality?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This isn't completed. While there are more options, I can't select multiple options for one event. There needs to be multiple reminders for a single event, for example, one week before and on the day of without creating two events. This was in the old functionality. There are several of people requesting this in several different headers. If you put them all together, there are quite a few people requesting that this functionality be brought back.

I need to receive reminders in an email so I can refer back to them. Pop ups are no use to me. This is a backward step

• Citra Adi Nugroho commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Reminder should have custom time setting, i can't set reminder to 3 hours or 2,5 hours, this is just rediculous. Google calendar can do it very flexible.. Need to catch that please.

The new version does no longer enable reminders to be received as an email, only available via 'pop up'.
    In addition, it is also no longer possible to customize the time of the reminder, only a few rigid possibilities left.
    In my views, it would be great if the new version remains as practical as the one we used to know it for ages.
    I thank you in advance for taking into account our valuable opinions :)

• Cobb commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Calendar does not have custom option. It also does not have e-mail reminders. Reminder option choices is very limited.

• Martin Green commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I also have an important repeating item that must be perform two days before the END of every month (meaning that the actual day of the month varies), so I just scheduled a repeating event for the first of every month with a two day advanced reminder. That appears to be impossible with the beta layout as it currently exists. Please give us back full control over our reminders.

• Martin Green commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The beta is useless to me now since I like to schedule two email reminders for important tasks... one up to a week before the event and another one day before it. Overall I like the new layout, but Microsoft has really dropped the ball with scheduling email reminders. Had to return to the classic layout today to set up a doctor's appointment six months from now.

reminder times are too limited; prefer minutes before to as much as 2 weeks previous to event, and more than one reminder if desired.

I agree. I prefer more than one reminder of scheduled events. Not at all helpful to get rid of the options.

• Glen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

That's right, this is a major miss!

There has been a reduction from 16 to 8 options of how far in advance to receive a reminder pop-up, in particular the removal of options such as 2 hours, 3 hours, 4 hours, 8 hours etc, which are very useful when you have to travel to an appointment.

Also the beta removes the option to schedule appointments at non-standard repeating patterns of, for example, ‘every 2 days’ or ’every 3 weeks’.

So much flexibility removed!

The new Outlook.com: Calendar

Feedback and Knowledge Base