OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

show from

When writing an email, I'd like the option to always display the FROM line as a default. I use several email addresses and this would let me know which one is in use at any time.

156 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

First off, thank you very much for providing the valuable feedback and for using Outlook.com. We truly do appreciate it!

I did want to let you know that based on your feedback, we have added back the FROM drop down on the compose form when you have multiple email accounts/aliases.

We hope that this helps improve the new Client experience for everyone.

Please keep the feedback coming!

Thanks

David Los

104 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • p commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Outlook team, can you add somewhere in options the possiblity to show or Hide the Email address? I have 2 outlook accounts and sometimes I dont know which one i am in ;-) Thanks for looking into this! Great updates coming thru keep up the good work. all the best, Pieter

• Dave Riley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thank you, but I see the drop down for the "From" field, however I am unable to add the alias associated with my account. I get a message: "The email is part of a reserve domain. Please enter a different email address." However, my email address that I have been using and giving out for years is <userid>@email.msn.com. I've used the 'email' one for hundreds of online registrations for 20 years and can't change them. I need to use that one in the "From" field to reduce confusion with people receiving my emails. Please fix that also . BTW - I do not use the beta and not interested either

• Chuck commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When composing an email it for some reason defaults to sending from my work email address which does not have permission to send within my personal account. This very frustrating because I always need to be mindful and change to sending from my personal account. How would my work account even be associated? How to I change this? There does not seem to be an intuitive way to change the default from account or edit the list.

• Sergey Galich commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Privacy issue: replying to messages inserts primary "from" email address, not the alias that sender used. Not only this breaks communication channels, but it also exposes my primary address.

• Skender Dobraj commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Improve connected accounts reply!
    In the older version, when replying to an email received from connected account, reply was done automatically from the account email was received.
    With the new update, only default email takes the function of reply and have to choose manually (annoying) the account!!!

• Mark Deacon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Cannot see From address in new or reply mails. This is a problem when you have aliases and need to choose which account to send a mail from.

• Chris Keczkemethy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The "From" field should always be visible when replying to a message. In this beta, the "From" field is not visible if messages are grouped by conversation. The only way to edit the "From" field is to expand the reply, then click the ellipsis next to "Discard". This is way too confusing and will lead to a lot of people sending replies from their primary account rather than the alias they meant to send it from.

• CS commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was contacting a business online by filling out an online form and used an email alias. They responded and sent an email to the alias. From the new Outlook.com I replied to the email but noticed after I sent the emai,l that it was sent from my main email address and not from the alias. I tried to reply again and there is no way to use any email alias like the Original Outlook.com. In the Original Outlook.com you get a drop down menu in the FROM of all your email alias's to use. This is true if you reply or create a new email in the original Outlook.com. In the new Outlook.com you can not reply or create a new email using an alias. You can only use the default email address. Please fix this. It absolutely defeats the point of having an email alias.

• corey.simon@outlook.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The default "From Address" does not work in Outlook beta when the "From" field is not visible. When I make the "From" field visible, it shows the correct address.

• Victor Verhaegen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please can you add the "From" field in the Email editor. I miss that feature in the Beta, as I'm using an alias email address.
    Thank you!

• Earl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was looking for this, too--didn't find it. It's an essential feature for anyone who uses aliases.

• David Garron commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have two email addresses that use the same email box - an outlook.com address and a hotmail.com address. With the "old" version, I can change the "from" address easily. With the beta, there is no "from" visible when sending a new email, so I have no idea how it can be changed from the default setting. I don't like that one bit.

• claireychamp@hotmail.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have the same problem - I stopped using the beta because of this (I use my alias address for work-related e-mails). I also can't do this using the android phone app, so if the beta isn't updated to fix this, I'll be unable to use this e-mail address at all

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Email Aliases do not appear to be supported in the new Outlook Beta. I can only send emails from my primary email address and not the other email addresses linked to my account. This feature was available in the old version of outlook.

• Peter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have several alias emails under my outlook email address. I cant see how to create a message from any of them. It seems to default to the account outlook address. Is there a way to do this? If not pleasedd it in. the old old outlook it worked fine

• Ben commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is THE main reason I can't use the beta. I tried it back when it first appeared, and the first thing I noticed was I couldn't choose which of the multiple emails I was sending as.

Now I saw they had updated the beta. I'm always happy trying new updates of software, so went to see if this was fixed ... and it wasn't. So straight back to the old view.

Microsoft, if you only fix one more thing before this beta becomes primary, this _must_ be fix. We have to be able to choose between the different email addresses I've registered.

In fact, the only reason I'm using outlook now is because of the ability to have multiple emails there, and then seamlessly switching between them when communicating with different people.

Looking forward to the next update.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6

The new Outlook.com: Spam

Feedback and Knowledge Base