OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

inbox rules

Inbox rules need more detail like 'çontains' same as what was in the old outlook desktop e.g. I get my Facebook feed sent to email so I can easily work on one device and I want to apply a move rule, I need to apply it to each individual email. I also run 3 Facebook pages so this is alot of redundant effort. If I had contains then I could put a keyword in and run the rule

116 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

First off, than you for all of the great feedback. I know that this feedback was left a few months ago. However, I did want to let you know that there is a new Rules experience. I believe this new experience will meet your requirements of being able to do more advanced filtering.

Please give it a try and let us know any other feedback you may have!

Here is a direct link to the rules settings
https://outlook.live.com/mail/options/mail/rules

60 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • [Deleted User] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dear Outlook/ Microsoft Team,
    we need not only inbox rules, but also the possibility to create rules for the spam folder.

Some hundreds of ******* have been receiving spam emails from dubious email addresses with adult content for several weeks. The subject is always the same. Every time some *** page was linked.
    If you block the addresses, it doesn't help at all, as these spammers use different mail addresses every time.

And often you are not even the recipient, but e-mails with similar addresses.

If you report these e-mail addresses as phishing, it won't help. Or rather, you don't get any feedback from Outlook. Microsoft could, for example, evaluate the phishing mails and block the server from which these mails come.

As I said, it's always mails with the same content.

Most of the time the mails look similar and have the following subject:
    "Local date for ***" <******************>
    "Adult Dating" <*********************>

The mail content are always some weird S*x pages containing the word.space in the middle (I made my research about these sites and found out that they are located in russia)

If you could now create rules for the spam folder in which words like"Adult Dating" are deleted and blocked directly without ever seeing them, that would be our salvation.

Please do something.

Here is the ****** thread that has been clicked more than 2600 times:

https://answers.microsoft.com/de-de/outlook_com/forum/osettings-oemail-set/spam-filter-onhand-of-name/9ccf28b5-47f2-4902-867f-a02a2d44140e

I have also seen that there is probably the same problem in the English speaking area, because there is also a thread about that there: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook_com/forum/oemail-osend/unable-to-block-adult-content-emails-despite-using/5dd8ce05-1595-40fc-b543-49396ad9dbb8

Please help us.

• mmsander27@msn.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

RE: categories and set rules, seeking the same brought back in Beta. I spent a lot of time making my emails with categories and in Beta they seem to be gone.
    Also please note that in old version it is difficult to distinguish folders from categories in the navigation pane. A drop down menu or clearly identifiable color/font/or other marking needed to distinguish on quick view.

• Blessed-Butterfly@hotmail.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Inbox rules need fixing, most if not all don't work. My emails are still being sent to the junk box as opposed to the respective folders.
    Delete has to be fixed, when in the junk box, I select all ,then uncheck the ones I need to keep, but once you click on delete and it asks you to confirm deleted whatever amount of emails you are deleting, it just sits there and the emails never go away. when you click out of the junk box, they are all still siting there, so I have to do it one by one which is ridiculous. The majority of this beta thing sucks

• Keith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For (runread) messages (from <whomever> in <specified folders> that are older than <X days> perform <specified action>.

Where <specified action> could be to flag them, delete them, or forward a copy.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

RULE OPTIONS ARE GONE!
    Rule creation only offers move all messages from a sender to a folder. What happened to setting up criteria and then selecting an action to happen. IE. If message is FROM "zzzz" and message CONTAINS "***" and was SENT TO "only you" THEN "pin" message.

• Gerard Hogan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Inbox Rules don't appear to be working well in the new Outlook. I keep having emails from senders I've already set rules for go to spam, or senders I've assigned to "other" end up in "focused"

If a rule has multiple criteria, it incorrectly executes if ONE of those criteria is satisfied rather than if ALL of the criteria is satisfied.

For the example rule below, the rule should only move an email to the "Receipts - Credit Card" folder if the body contains "1234" or "2345" ... AND if it contains the word "receipt". Currently, emails are being sent into that folder if the email ONLY contains the word "receipt. In other words, the "and the message..." is being treated as if it was "or the message...".

---
    Receipts - General - Credit Cards

After the message arrives and...
    the body of the message contains the words '1234' or '2345'
    and the message includes specific words in the subject or body 'receipt'

Do the following...
    move the message to folder 'Receipts - Credit Card'
    and stop processing more rules on this message

This rule is: On

• Nick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The new simplistic rules is awful. Previous version you can be more specific with rule settings. Also would be useful to set a rule by domain rather than full email address. For example all Amazon emails always go to Junk even though I have them as a safe sender/safe domain.

• Larry Morris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I love how easy it is to create rules. But when I create a new rule, it only applies to future emails. It would be very helpful to have a "Run rule now" option like desktop outlook so that I can gather up all previous mails and put them in the same place as the rule is placing future emails.

• Henrik Pedersen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Setup rules for mails: A time requirement like: Mails older than <X days> <do something>. What to do could be: move mail to a folder or or delete the mail.
    Meaning the mail stays in the inbox for X days after which it gets moved to a folder or it get deleted, what ever action the rule states.

An example could be:
    Mails from John which are older than 10 days, move to folder names "Work Group for task"

Br Henrik

Basic rules exist and are easy to use but it would be nice to have an option for slightly more complex rules. Current rules are restricted to from domain X to action Y. A good enhancement would be from specific user XX do action Y or perhaps from domain X with subject Z do action Y. Basic rules by default but enhanced rules as needed.

• Matt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I need to forward email and your neww "RULES" section has no way to write rules in or instructions how to do so.

• Mark Edmiston commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Make rules apply to all for all folders I choose... including junk and inbox. If I say I don't want to see emails with certain keywords... have it apply to not just the inbox but the junk mail folder.
    I'm getting sick of having to sort through "dating Russian women" and "this might kill you" emails to find out if Outlook mistakenly put an important message in my junk folder... which it often does!

• roy adams commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thje rule is missing from the beta version that allows only emails from contacts into the inbox, and ensures that emails from contacts automatically go into the inbox. I received four emails from a fried who is on my contact list and beta decided that three were junk and one should go straight into the deleted email box without being seen! this functionality needs to be restored.

• roy adams commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Amongst the many other problems with rules is functionality missing that is there in the current version. In the current version if you get a series of emails from addresses such as fraud1@abc.ru, spam @abc.ru , fraud2@abc.ru etc etc. You can block all emails from all adresses ending in @abc.ru but there is no setting to enable you to do this in the beta version. You can only block each email. Similarly you are missing the current ability to block emails that contain a word or phrase: I obviously have no desire to grow my b00bs, but here is no way to block emails that contain that word in the subject or text body,

← Previous 1 3

The new Outlook.com: Spam

Feedback and Knowledge Base