OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

I am unable to delete contact: Make the Delete button in Contacts actually do something. I want to delete old contacts but can't

It would seem a good idea if the Delete button inthe contacts list actually allowed you to delete contacts that are no longer required.

41 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

50 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Kenneth Mcloone commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Under the old Hotmail system I could look at all my contacts and edit them if necessary. For example, someone sends me a change in their email address. Now I do not believe I can delete the old contact info. So, if I email this person in a few months I have to remember which of two suggested contacts to use.

• Mel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Interesting that I see comments on this back in early 2017 and people still reporting problems on this!
    Makes us wonder why we give feedback to Outlook to fix and they ignore and continue to break more of it!
    I have been trying to get their attentions on other issues and no response. TIME TO LOOK FOR A NEW EMAIL SYSTEM!

• ed commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a very annoying problem. Makes for sending the wrong email address tooo often since you have to know which is the current email for someone. Looks like it would be too easy to let you simply delete an old email address that you don't wish to have come up any more. I gave up on facebook because I wasn't clarvoint. This has been a festering problem for a long time. Once I spent an hour deleting old email addresses that were no longer used. Well guess what they are all still there. You would think that a computer software company could at least make this part work.

• Ric Donato commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Outlook from browser, click Files tab > People, in there is a list of people I need to remove. Cannot find how to remove them

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. I've been trying to delete a contact for an hour. I've watch youtube videos. I've tried everything. It should not be this hard! So ridiculous!!!!

I can't delete old emails and phone numbers in persons. Why is this not fixed yet? I call people on old phonenumbers and get error messages from old email adresses kept in the systems memory.

• D. Tony BlackShear commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

can't edit an email address in PEOPLE (contacts). Also very hard to delete old email address (friends change these occasionally and the old one need to be changed/deleted)

Agree, need to
    1. be able to delete more than 50 contacts at a time
    2. be able to completely change an email address and not have the old one still in the file

• Robert Page commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If a contact changes their email address, the old one keeps reappearing resulting in my not knowing which is new and which is old. This is ridiculous and extremely annoying. I've just, yet again, sent an email which was not delivered because the address no longer exists. When will Outlook understand the basics - when I delete an email address in my contacts list I want it gone - for ever!!

I am unable to delete secondary email address from a contact without deleting the ENTIRE contact

• Edinburgh Music Theatre commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I previously learnt due to complaints that deleting a contact doesn't delete them from the contact lists they're in, and an unsubscriber kept getting mails until I worked it out. At least then I could click on a contact, see what lists they were in, untick them from those lists, and then delete the contact. Now MS have removed even this function meaning I have to search every one of 20 contact lists to see if the contact exists there, edit each affected list, and only then can I delete the contact.
    HOW ARE WE SUPPOSED TO COMPLY WITH GDPR SAFELY WHEN THE FUNCTIONALITY IS THIS POOR???!!!

← Previous 1 3

The new Outlook.com: Chat

Feedback and Knowledge Base