OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

Small message displaying area

The screen is divided into four parts where the message displaying area looks small, it feels congested to me. The round icon colour for the contacts can be darker so it would blend in with the UI. The fonts look good, spam filter is awesome, surfing speed is good, and ads on the right side is not that annoying till now for me.

388 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Aaron shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

First off, thank you for taking the time to provide feedback about your experiences with the new Outlook.com experience.

We have been working to adjust the experience based on all of your feedback. Since we have introduced some settings, I wanted to make sure you were all aware of them.

When you are signed in, you can click on the gear in the top right hand corner. From here it will load the quick settings pane. This pane will allow you to disable/enable features that will make it feel more like the old experience.

Specifically I want to call out the Reading Pane. The old experience had the reading pane defaulted to OFF. What I would recommend doing is trying to hide it and see if that helps improve your experience.

Hope this helps

David Los

208 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

because of the extra box in the new beta version, that highlights recent messages, the actual message you want to read is too small and cramped over on the right side of the screen. i don't need that extra box, but if people like it, couldn't it be smaller and allow the selected message to be more easily visible?

• Melissa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In the beta version i cant see all the emails, only just few ones. keep other version on email display

• Nikos commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Small area to read the message!! is better than before.If the mail has a spam you cannot avoid it now.You can not delete before review the message... I have also over 150 messages for e-mail ,with outlook as a name ,they say my account will stop ,will close and other.Please inform all your people about this ...Thank you.

• Lucio Ferrari commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't like to read a mail in a small window. Neither I need to see the mail box while i'm reading one. It should be possible to scroll the mail window to conceal the mail box.

• Vishaal Sharma commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The Ad panel on the right is too big which makes the message reader window small. Not a good UI experience. Switching back to legacy view.

• Rusti commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I couldn't read the email properly because the reading display column is too narrow and I couldn't resize it.

I tried to find a way to make the email display bigger but it only shows in the little area and it's not big enough. Everything else on the page dominates and distracts from the actual email content.

viewer area too small, some newsletter wear wider than the new viewer really difficult to view thing. not convenient

beta is good, but email display is too narrow - I have to scroll to read things and it bums me out :(

• Will commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having you emails in a small window is a terrible idea for the web browser. on top of that you still force your ad window. JUST LEAVE IT ALONE

I don't like that narrow window to read email content - I want more width or at least there should be an option easily trun on/off.

• Celia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can't display properly my emails : I couldn't find how to open "full screen" a received email in order to be able to read it.
    It isn't opening with double-click, there is no proposal with right click button nor with the icons.

Maybe it is just that my computer is too small (10 inches) and for everybody else the display zone is enough ? but you should allow me to read my mails in a comfortable size.
    With the beta, the space that is displaying the selected email is like 5cm x 8 cm, it is way too small for me. And I cannot reduce the width of the email list (to enlarge the displaying zone instead) : it won't move even when I select it and reduce it.

I hope you will fix this !

I find it difficult to view many emails. I have a small screen (macair) and many companies do not optimise for small screens.

I can only read/see five emails in my email list panel... makes it hard to quickly scan emails.

It would be necessary to be able to double clic on the email so it can be opened in a bigger windows and be clearly visible!

• Oscar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

the part of the email content is too small. I continually have to move the cursor bar to read the emails which makes it very difficult to use. After all, what is important is the content of the email. I find it cumbersome. I prefer simplicity and cleanliness in the interface. Thanks for listening.

• Roland Guenther commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Window
    The window for writing an email is too small. I like the old one better as it gives me a better overlook over an email, especially when I answer to one that was sent to me.

• Francisco Marques commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Too many windows. Too many data ata the same time on screen. The window of new mais is too small and it is not obvious how to make it bigger

• Brian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

when you select an email, the window given is too small to capture the whole message. u have to scroll rt and left. obviously could've missed the fix here but never saw one. otherwise its fine

• Michael Bryant commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Adds make my processor fan go on. Window for email message too small. Adds ot the right and adds in the email window - come on.

The new Outlook.com: Search

Feedback and Knowledge Base