OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

Small message displaying area

The screen is divided into four parts where the message displaying area looks small, it feels congested to me. The round icon colour for the contacts can be darker so it would blend in with the UI. The fonts look good, spam filter is awesome, surfing speed is good, and ads on the right side is not that annoying till now for me.

388 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Aaron shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

First off, thank you for taking the time to provide feedback about your experiences with the new Outlook.com experience.

We have been working to adjust the experience based on all of your feedback. Since we have introduced some settings, I wanted to make sure you were all aware of them.

When you are signed in, you can click on the gear in the top right hand corner. From here it will load the quick settings pane. This pane will allow you to disable/enable features that will make it feel more like the old experience.

Specifically I want to call out the Reading Pane. The old experience had the reading pane defaulted to OFF. What I would recommend doing is trying to hide it and see if that helps improve your experience.

Hope this helps

David Los

208 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The window for reading the email feels to small. Makes me claustrophobic and stressed. It feels like everything is to cramped in. And makes the text hard to read if you get long emails. The app version works a little better because you can make half the panel darker, which makes the email a little easier to read. Both could use some improvements.

• Jill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The window for writing messages is too small. I don't need all the other windows open around it. It just looks cluttered and harder to focus on the task at hand.

message window too narrow, I have to scroll right and left to read the email! Too cluttered, I strongly prefer the old version.

I have many emails i get from company and use a wider space for photos and such. The right pane is much to small to read any of these emails even when stretched as big as it will get. I still have to physically scroll it to the side so read everything but can not see it all at once which is very annoying

• zarutobi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The new layout is reduce reading space of the email and that inconvenience.

• Carlos commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Didn't like the version too. When clicking on an email the display side is too messy with the message.

• Ange Miracle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

the message box where you are reading the email is too small and you have to scroll from side to side to see the whole message. don't like that...make it easy to read the whole message and not just see portions of the message at a time.

• donmayer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Don't eliminate the ability to click each email and see the entire content alone in a 100% reading pane window. The beta reading pane is too small and takes too much time to scroll around to see entire message.

While reading an e-mail, half the page is left for other panels. This makes the reading space very small. It also causes unwanted distraction to the sides.

• Thomas.M123@live.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I guess I'm indifferent. I do like the refreshed look, however I don't like the vertical panels. The beta seems to work best when my internet window is full screen, however I utilize personal emails from a small window while working with different software. So the tiny reading box become impossible to use.

I can only see part of the email when I first open it. If I am clicking on an email, I like to see the whole email on one page instead of having to scroll to the right/bottom to read the rest of the email. I do not have enough space to make the title of the emails shorter on the left pane.

when you click on an email it shouldn't display it on the side but it should take up the whole screen.

• Ane Alberdi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

difficult to read emails // body of the email very narrow // adds take too much space

• fred commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

my screen is rather small, so the window for reading the email is squizzed between the email list and the ad list which has not been reduced: i dislike it a lot.
    The same squizzing appeared when downloading a document which did not work properly in current version. I do not need huge box to not see the downloaded doc!
    that i would like to be fixed in the previous version ;-)
    I m using hotmail since 18 years(!) and have accepted many changes but this one is really not one to adopt.

When I tried to search for an email and then open the ones it found, I couldn't even read the email I opened because it was too narrow.

The new Outlook.com: Search

Feedback and Knowledge Base