OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

Small message displaying area

The screen is divided into four parts where the message displaying area looks small, it feels congested to me. The round icon colour for the contacts can be darker so it would blend in with the UI. The fonts look good, spam filter is awesome, surfing speed is good, and ads on the right side is not that annoying till now for me.

388 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Aaron shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

First off, thank you for taking the time to provide feedback about your experiences with the new Outlook.com experience.

We have been working to adjust the experience based on all of your feedback. Since we have introduced some settings, I wanted to make sure you were all aware of them.

When you are signed in, you can click on the gear in the top right hand corner. From here it will load the quick settings pane. This pane will allow you to disable/enable features that will make it feel more like the old experience.

Specifically I want to call out the Reading Pane. The old experience had the reading pane defaulted to OFF. What I would recommend doing is trying to hide it and see if that helps improve your experience.

Hope this helps

David Los

208 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

too small area for the mail not every one work on a 17 inch screen or larger plus you gave the pinned mails a color which is very disturbance couldn't leve it more than 30 sec

Reading pane is too small. I don't like the inbox having two lines. I want to see more of the emails.

• Mona Abbas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Viewing message panel is way too small specially when viewing messages with images and adds is taking like 20% of the screen.
    I will have to use scrolls to view sides and up/down...

• HC commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Prefer to have next mail click ont he mail itself (top left corner perhaps); Unable to open the mail entirely to read; Mail is not complete fit in the reading pane size and reading mail in the reading pane is unpleasant.

When it displays the actual email, the little window pane is too small. And I don't see an obvious way to increase the size. Some emails will have banners that are too long require a bar horizontal scroll, but it would be better if I could just open it up separately.

• takanari_m@hotmail.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think the new design is pretty good, it just needs some improvements. I would like it if you made it possible for us to make the message itself bigger. When we open the message in the message box its all the way to the right and its not really pleasant to read it like that. Please make an option where we can choose on which side we want the message box or the message itself, or make it possible for us to customize it a bit ourselves.

I dislike the new format for the inbox. When I try to select an email to delete it, it automatically opens in the new pane. And when I try to read an email, the window is so small I have to scroll to see the message in its entirety. This drives me crazy. I'd rather have the format how it was before.

• Feng commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Beta version make the email-writing area smaller which is not convenient for me. However, maybe my screen is small, LOL

I can't read the e-mail as before because this part is too small for me. It would be better to see the content much bigger than the other parts of the page, as for example the sender.
    I find it clear but I still prefer the old version.

• Nick x commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The message body panel is too small. It is resizable to a certain size but to make it a lot bigger is impossible and the message itself is cropped.

• Isa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To many "windows" and small "window" to read the emails. To many changes at the same time.

The space to read e-mails gets even more narrow. The space for folders and e-mails (subjects) is too big. I want to narrow it down but then I've reached the minimum of that width already. That way I always need to scroll sideways as well instead of only up and down. I read my e-mail better on my iPhone now. That's not how it should work for web based e-mail.

• Rebecca commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can't read the messages as the message window is too narrow on my laptop. Can't seem to "open" it to actually read it. Resorted to reading my messages on my phone!

• andres commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

wrong view area, i cant open anew page each message, why? the working area is very small

The reading pane is too narrow to read the full email, and unlike Outlook, I can't figure out a way to fully open the email . When I try to change the size of the reading pane, it automatically reverts back to an unreadable size.

• rob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The reading panel is too narrow and I have to scroll left and right to see the full email, the menus don't work properly on my surface. Also clunky to use, too many steps to do things.

the email content window was too small , cannot see the whole page/width of the content. I want a whole new window instead of a little one.
    Don't do the stupid change. i am using a browser not MS outlook.

The new Outlook.com: Search

Feedback and Knowledge Base