OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

Small message displaying area

The screen is divided into four parts where the message displaying area looks small, it feels congested to me. The round icon colour for the contacts can be darker so it would blend in with the UI. The fonts look good, spam filter is awesome, surfing speed is good, and ads on the right side is not that annoying till now for me.

388 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Aaron shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

First off, thank you for taking the time to provide feedback about your experiences with the new Outlook.com experience.

We have been working to adjust the experience based on all of your feedback. Since we have introduced some settings, I wanted to make sure you were all aware of them.

When you are signed in, you can click on the gear in the top right hand corner. From here it will load the quick settings pane. This pane will allow you to disable/enable features that will make it feel more like the old experience.

Specifically I want to call out the Reading Pane. The old experience had the reading pane defaulted to OFF. What I would recommend doing is trying to hide it and see if that helps improve your experience.

Hope this helps

David Los

208 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • patsaurer@msn.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't like this half page of email list and half page of info, it's so small I can't read the email letter...help, help what can I do to be able to read my email??????

• liisvahur@hotmail.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I wanted to ask why the email view got so small, the actual message is some centimeters wide and all the other things are too big, can I change it?

• vkmr2012 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

With outlook beta there is very little space for reading the email. Pan to read the email is very small on 1024 X 768 resolution. I have sent the same comment earlier but no action. I am resending the same comment again.

It was nice without beta. Lot of space to read the email. But with beta there is very little space to read the email. There is no option to send you screen shot otherwise I would have submitted one.
    Open outlook beta on screen resolution 1024 X 768 and see how much space is left to read the email.

• NUERENBERG@msn.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Outlook Beta version - I find that the message text area is too narrow and can't be increased. This is when the email listings are above and the email content is below.
    Also, the subject line of the received email takes up message space; I don't want that line as the message subject is already in the messages above it.
    John

• ian_smitheringale@hotmail.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Most of the complaints on the Beta version is the small area to read and write emails. On the original version if you double click the email it opens in a new window - maybe this could be a solution to this issue with the Beta version?

• S commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed. I want more emails to fit on screen.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I cant read the actual mail properly. panel is too small and covered by ads and unable to pop out.

• Anthony P commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

#1 problem with the Outlook UI is that it leaves very little real estate on the screen to actually read emails. The top bar with the search is far too big, then you've got the big delete/archive/junk buttons; this leaves little vertical room. Then horizontally you've got the vertical menu on the left with mail/calendar/people/photos, etc. Then the folder list, then the emails list, THEN finally the reading pane but it's cut short by a large ad. It's far too much for my 15" laptop screen. I typically use the reading pane but outlook.com's interfaces lately leave no room. Either make the UI way more customizable or shrink/hide elements as the screen size shrinks.

• paulinha83_cris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This version leaves the reading page very small, it is difficult to visualize because everything is on the same page, and when you delete the email you were reading it, it already goes to the other, I did not like it very much, and the worse that the other version is with some bugs

I can't figure out how to open a message. The viewing window is too narrow to read the message.

The viewing window the for the email itself is tiny - I know many have raised their concerns about this. Today, I notice the "fix" was to scale down the email to fit into the tiny window. That makes the emails un-readable. Increase the viewing window for the actual email - which is the entire point of going to Outlook.com.

I want a larger reading pane and a narrower Inbox pane. The entire email is not visible. I'll stick with the non-beta version.

the reading pane is too small to see the message which is the whole point of using the program - resize columns to maximize the reading pane

• damian wilson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can't open the email to see the whole thing on one page, the reader on the right is too small and i can't condense the left side enough.

• Alexey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

message area is too small because of ads on the right side (laptop). ads is very annoying. Just use Google experience, Gmail is still good.

yes---why is the message area so small. Maybe the option is there to alter that but I just want to read my email. I dont need to see all the other emails that I have read or have yet to read whilst i am trying to read current email.

The mail reading space provided is too small. It would help if there is an option to make it fill up a larger portion of the screen

The new Outlook.com: Search

Feedback and Knowledge Base