OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

Small message displaying area

The screen is divided into four parts where the message displaying area looks small, it feels congested to me. The round icon colour for the contacts can be darker so it would blend in with the UI. The fonts look good, spam filter is awesome, surfing speed is good, and ads on the right side is not that annoying till now for me.

388 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Aaron shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

First off, thank you for taking the time to provide feedback about your experiences with the new Outlook.com experience.

We have been working to adjust the experience based on all of your feedback. Since we have introduced some settings, I wanted to make sure you were all aware of them.

When you are signed in, you can click on the gear in the top right hand corner. From here it will load the quick settings pane. This pane will allow you to disable/enable features that will make it feel more like the old experience.

Specifically I want to call out the Reading Pane. The old experience had the reading pane defaulted to OFF. What I would recommend doing is trying to hide it and see if that helps improve your experience.

Hope this helps

David Los

208 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please do not go to the three column system. I cannot read my emails because the print is too tiny and there isn't any way to see it in a reader or even at all. The worst layout I've ever seen. Will I ever be able to read my emails again? Do I have to change my email address. :/

• Tess Roberts commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm helping my mum with her email and the new beta view is un-useable. The preview pane for the email view is tiny and renders text at an illegible size. This design will need to be reconsidered for people using lower resolution monitors and those with impaired vision.

how am I to read my mail with only a 2 inch squarw on the right side, why do you techies have to change a good thing, are you that bored!

• Alan C commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can't see my past messages in a full window. I can only see them in a small window on the right side and the text is so small I can't even read them!!!!!!

Don't like the small view of email--Can't find out how to make it larger!

I am not finding the new look very good.When I click onto an email the message is so small even if I close the column which shows the folders

• jamie_4600@hotmail.co.uk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The beta email viewer is too narrow and is not responsive. I couldn't read the full width of the email. I had to scroll down to the bottom of the email move the horizontal slider a bit then go back to where I was in the email. Then I had to repeat this every time I'd read 4 lines. It was exceptionally annoying.

• M andrew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Tiny writing caused by the 3 columns means that the email is hard to read and 2 thirds of the screen is the difficult-to-scan 'Focussed or Other' column, and the first column is goodness knows what other complication!

I just want to read and answer emails, not deal with all the complications you seem to be adding.

• Gisele Le Grove commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I do not like the page parted into two.
    the reading right hand side part is awkward to read- too small !

• SBCATWORK@msn.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can no longer read my emails. While you claim the new changes are "great", They are bad. I now have to use gmail.

• nahid_z@hotmail.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The Beta version is not working right on my ASUS tablet. The emails are being shown in a very narrow window about a third of my screen's with, and it does not allow anymore widening.
    It is also telling me that it cannot open a confirmation email I received last night from AEROPLAN, which I opened with the previous version, "because I do not have an internet connection" which is incorrect!
    extremely frustrating

• Jen Robertson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, i've upgraded to the new Outlook and whilst its a great improvement, its sometimes difficult to read whats in the body of an email as its so small when there are so many columns (i currently have the column for inbox, drafts, sent etc, a column for emails, a column for the body of an email and then an advertising column. It would be great if you could provide a pop out function so you can say double click an email and it makes it full screen to allow you read this. Not sure if you already offer this in a different configuration however I couldn't see anything. Thanks

The new Outlook.com: Search

Feedback and Knowledge Base