OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

Small message displaying area

The screen is divided into four parts where the message displaying area looks small, it feels congested to me. The round icon colour for the contacts can be darker so it would blend in with the UI. The fonts look good, spam filter is awesome, surfing speed is good, and ads on the right side is not that annoying till now for me.

388 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Aaron shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

First off, thank you for taking the time to provide feedback about your experiences with the new Outlook.com experience.

We have been working to adjust the experience based on all of your feedback. Since we have introduced some settings, I wanted to make sure you were all aware of them.

When you are signed in, you can click on the gear in the top right hand corner. From here it will load the quick settings pane. This pane will allow you to disable/enable features that will make it feel more like the old experience.

Specifically I want to call out the Reading Pane. The old experience had the reading pane defaulted to OFF. What I would recommend doing is trying to hide it and see if that helps improve your experience.

Hope this helps

David Los

208 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Allan Follack commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The reading pane is too small to read anything. This problem has been mentioned before as the reason I did not use the beta. Now there is no choice to use the current Outlook. Get rid of the icons for mail calendar etc on the far left beside the Navigation List and put them back below the Navigation List as they were before As they are now is wasting screen space. This should make the reading pane bigger.

• Eric commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Found the same problem would like to know the answer. This is one of the reason I stopped using Yahoo.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In generel the field where the massage appears should be the biggest one. Actually the massage appears in very smal letters and it is not possible to make it bigger. A funtion like a mouse over for the mailing list would be nice. So since your are reading a mail it would cover nearly the full Screen and if you go left over the edge to the mailing list it will appear again.

• ROLANDO ADUCCI commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Helo, the new version is good, but is difficulty for see clearly all the e mail. it have a small space for reading.

• gerryemerson@hotmail.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just want to read and email on one screen so I can actually read it. Enlarging beyond 100% is a nuisance and awkward. Just one screen please , not a split that has tiny print!

• jpastrick@outlook.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Your new Outlook BETA email does not allow you to change the size of the resulting small window if you select Open Message in a New Window. Please fix this because it appears there is no way I can turn oft the BETA email anymore.

Also, if I Reply to an email, it does not insert my signature in the Reply even though I have it selected to do so in my Settings. Please fix this too.

Seriously, I can't read my emails in a column and in minuscule type formatting!!!!!!!

What a joke! How the **** am I supposed to read a newsletter in this stupid format?????

• jrlang1@msn.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

New adds make it hard to read emails due to smaller area to view emails. Place ads on bottom to make it more readable

• anonednerb@hotmail.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The new beta is almost great, but how do I look at my email? That's a joke, but seriously, the side bars are too big and my emails are all horizontally squished. So, again, how do I view my email? I want to see it and only it, with breadcrumbs or a very minimal sidebar. As is, I'm frustrated and don't even know what to do except minimize and maximize the sidebars when I want to navigate. It isn't clear at all how to slide it away, if possible.

• Jake commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When modern internet browsers were designed, they maximized the viewing space and minimized space taken by menus and frills. Similarly, well-designed email clients provide plenty of space for the reading pane, getting all the rest of the stuff out of the way. Please either enlarge the reading pane, or provide the option to dynamically resize and enlarge it. The old outlook.com still has a larger reading pane than the new one.

Having to pop every email out into a separate window to enlarge the reading pane shouldn't be necessary.

The new Outlook.com: Search

Feedback and Knowledge Base