OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

Small message displaying area

The screen is divided into four parts where the message displaying area looks small, it feels congested to me. The round icon colour for the contacts can be darker so it would blend in with the UI. The fonts look good, spam filter is awesome, surfing speed is good, and ads on the right side is not that annoying till now for me.

388 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Aaron shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

First off, thank you for taking the time to provide feedback about your experiences with the new Outlook.com experience.

We have been working to adjust the experience based on all of your feedback. Since we have introduced some settings, I wanted to make sure you were all aware of them.

When you are signed in, you can click on the gear in the top right hand corner. From here it will load the quick settings pane. This pane will allow you to disable/enable features that will make it feel more like the old experience.

Specifically I want to call out the Reading Pane. The old experience had the reading pane defaulted to OFF. What I would recommend doing is trying to hide it and see if that helps improve your experience.

Hope this helps

David Los

208 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • tos64@hotmail.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am really not enjoying my new hotmail (recently changed). the pane showing my folders, etc is too wide & now the pane showing the actual messages is way too narrow. Probably also because of the ads, which take up the space ( I do not have a massive screen) which I really really hate in ads my email. when I open a message in a new box, it keeps reopening the same message over & over, even though I am trying to open a different msg. Extremely frustrating overall. Jennifer

• T J commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Be able to see more than two and a half messages at a time in the left hand pane.

• Barbara Cole commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wasted space with folder box and Inbox. Less space for messages. Need to improve the message space and less on the other two.

• SwayDay@outlook.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Make it ZOOMABLE by using your two fingers on the mouse pad, like everything else is on the net. Your lame email is not special. I can NEVER see anything and cant zoom in like I do on all other apps on the web, so make yours zoomable with fingers too. I don't like the size it picks from the control + or - signs. FINGER SOMMABLE

• W. Wong commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, keep things simple. Don't ***** things up by have the screen cluttered with many little screens. Also how do you make the writing screen full size or bigger. It doesn't seem to be obvious as to how to do that. Also the software engineers making the changes don't really understand what the layman needs. Software engineers think that everything works well in their world thinking. I thought your email system was working quite well. Much better than Yahoo before they really ***** their email system up. Again, keep it simple and easy to use.

• Andrea Lemus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The window to see emails is too small. I would like to move the inbox preview more to the left to make the email window larger.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Be able to resize the Message list, i.e. make it skinnier. I use laptops! I don't mind the adds, with a horizontal message view it's downright horrible and I can only view my hiding the menu, which I dislike since I use folders. I do hope to upgrade, which would get rid of the add, but I can't afford it right now. On a large monitor, this isn't a problem. On a laptop with a 14" screen, it's a problem. Just let me skinny up the in-box. Thank you.

• marina_gia@hotmail.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dear manager,

the conversation area now is very small and narrow.
    How can I enlarge it in order to read and write my e-mails in a more comfortable way?
    There are too many different things on the screen at the same time!
    Thanks.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I do not like the display settings. It is too crammed and does not allow free movements from on folder to other until multiple folders are selected which makes the screen even more crammed. I prefer the old version

• Anne Healy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The new reading pane is too small. Need to scroll down to read it complete.
    2. When sending a reply, would not allow more than a few words. could not complete the message.

• JEAN BAUER commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

print is toooo small. Fadded out items are almost impossible to read when printed out and on the screen

• [Deleted User] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want a larger reading pane and a narrower Inbox pane. The entire email is not visible.I want to return to the non-beta version. You do realise some people need reading glasses? The Inbox Pane is almost as large as the email reading Pane. Who designed that? Needs training.

The new Outlook.com: Search

Feedback and Knowledge Base