OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

Small message displaying area

The screen is divided into four parts where the message displaying area looks small, it feels congested to me. The round icon colour for the contacts can be darker so it would blend in with the UI. The fonts look good, spam filter is awesome, surfing speed is good, and ads on the right side is not that annoying till now for me.

388 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Aaron shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

First off, thank you for taking the time to provide feedback about your experiences with the new Outlook.com experience.

We have been working to adjust the experience based on all of your feedback. Since we have introduced some settings, I wanted to make sure you were all aware of them.

When you are signed in, you can click on the gear in the top right hand corner. From here it will load the quick settings pane. This pane will allow you to disable/enable features that will make it feel more like the old experience.

Specifically I want to call out the Reading Pane. The old experience had the reading pane defaulted to OFF. What I would recommend doing is trying to hide it and see if that helps improve your experience.

Hope this helps

David Los

208 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • dog commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i need more space for viewing the body of my email... not bars worth or your **** advertising!

• mittan42@msn.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I need to have enough of the preview AT THE BOTTOM to be able to read some of it. I want to move the scrollbar up because I only need to see 2 or at most 3 rows for new emails. There's too much other **** in the way in the preview pane to be able to actually read any of the email.

• Ron s commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I hate the "new" Outlook. Reading pane is too **** small, can't shrink the in window down and enlarge the reading pane. The more you guys do to Outlook, the more I'm convinced that I'd be better served using GMAIL.

• thomas Whitton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Slow, cluttered, not easy to navigate... put the adverts on the bottom, so i can actually see a full picture of my emails. If you rolled this out today, i would start using my Gmail account more often.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Somehow everything has zoomed out so text is unreadably small. Plus the folders pane on the left has disappeared, so I can't check the 'sent' folder. I've only managed to type this by zooming in with Control+ (I use Google Chrome). None of the online help seems to address this problem.

• Lynette Ashley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I get way too many emails to view them all this size it takes up SO much space how am i supposed to be able to scan emails quickly to look for the one i want and sure you could say oh use the search but like how about just dont make objectively worse.

• Yvonne Colclasure commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Make all the extra panes smaller so my text pane is large enough to see the whole text without moving margins.

• Dale Galiano commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There is no bar to move message to the left to get the full message. The message is cut off Plus when you want to email there is no button to verify email. Help please. Thank you

• Damiano Neufeld commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Layout is very space inefficient. I can only see 5-6 emails in the message list at once (on my 14" screen). Everything feels very bloated.

• pedromartins1996@hotmail.co.uk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My Outlook.com layout has updated, I don't mind it too much but one thing that's affecting my ability to read my emails is the size of the email block. The previous layout was rather small which allowed me to see multiple emails but now the current size is inconveniencing me, is there any way to change the email block size (for Inbox)?

• lsshanley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I hate the new program. I can only see 5 messages at a time, and have not been able to expand the window size.

• Joe Persek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Way too much wasted space. Yahoo Mail calls this "Message List Density" and it has Slim, Regular and Relaxed settings. Slim is what I prefer.

• Joe Persek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Directory display needs tweaking. Each message takes up too much space now. It needs to be compressed as it was before. Or at least provide that option. Also the search bar area needs to be white, not blue.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The new row-size for the inbox list takes up way too much space. I can only see about 7 emails below my pinned emails, without having to scroll.

The new Outlook.com: Search

Feedback and Knowledge Base