OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

Small message displaying area

The screen is divided into four parts where the message displaying area looks small, it feels congested to me. The round icon colour for the contacts can be darker so it would blend in with the UI. The fonts look good, spam filter is awesome, surfing speed is good, and ads on the right side is not that annoying till now for me.

388 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Aaron shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

First off, thank you for taking the time to provide feedback about your experiences with the new Outlook.com experience.

We have been working to adjust the experience based on all of your feedback. Since we have introduced some settings, I wanted to make sure you were all aware of them.

When you are signed in, you can click on the gear in the top right hand corner. From here it will load the quick settings pane. This pane will allow you to disable/enable features that will make it feel more like the old experience.

Specifically I want to call out the Reading Pane. The old experience had the reading pane defaulted to OFF. What I would recommend doing is trying to hide it and see if that helps improve your experience.

Hope this helps

David Los

208 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The message window is to small and doesn't adjust well. I have to scroll over on all of my e-mails to read them.

The homepage looks extremely busy, making it seem like I have a lot more emails than I actually do. I also found the third pane which actually contains the email to be way too small for reading, and not easily adjustable if at all. I would prefer the simpler look of the previous version of Outlook.

• Marce commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The column for message list can not be made smaller and the panel to view the message selected is too small on a common laptop screen

• Enrique Sierra commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Concerning your Outlook beta. It does seem cluttered. I especially dislike the narrowness of the email message area. It is horizontally too small. In order to see to complete message I have to use the slider to see the other portion of a message. I have to keep sliding back and forth to see a wider email. This is a hassle. In the current version I can place the message at the bottom and the whole message appears with no problem.

The reading pane is too..., too narrow. With the ad panel at the right extreme, which is wider than the reading panel, reading space is insufficient. Pls consider widening it.

• Ryan Troxell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The email viewing window is way too narrow. It is very hard to read the email without having to scroll right and left. The vertical panels need to be adjusted. Otherwise, the layout and the new look is nice.

• Mildred Ramo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The space to read the mails is very narrow. As most are not designed to be read vertically, could'nt be read

• salee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

too less area to view messages, I want to see maximum number of messages list

1 2 7 8 9 11 Next →

The new Outlook.com: Search

Feedback and Knowledge Base