OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

Small message displaying area

The screen is divided into four parts where the message displaying area looks small, it feels congested to me. The round icon colour for the contacts can be darker so it would blend in with the UI. The fonts look good, spam filter is awesome, surfing speed is good, and ads on the right side is not that annoying till now for me.

388 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Aaron shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

First off, thank you for taking the time to provide feedback about your experiences with the new Outlook.com experience.

We have been working to adjust the experience based on all of your feedback. Since we have introduced some settings, I wanted to make sure you were all aware of them.

When you are signed in, you can click on the gear in the top right hand corner. From here it will load the quick settings pane. This pane will allow you to disable/enable features that will make it feel more like the old experience.

Specifically I want to call out the Reading Pane. The old experience had the reading pane defaulted to OFF. What I would recommend doing is trying to hide it and see if that helps improve your experience.

Hope this helps

David Los

208 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Jorge Chavez commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i lost space, i want something minimalist, th area for read the emails is very small, no many panels every where.

• Joris Opstroom commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Especially e-mails from commercial parties have a certain width that forces me to scroll horizontally. This is the case even when I make the navigation tab as narrow as possible.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Too small window on the right side for reading properly the email.
    i like the left side and the new design but the structure is not so confortable.

• Gabriel Avila commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The email view on right side is too small for notebook screens, need to scroll a lot of times for both sides to see the whole message.

I enjoy the new layout but it just doesn't work on a small screen (I use a 10 inch laptop). The whole screen it just too crowded for such a size and the emails are difficult to read.

Messages listed on a small area. So, we need to concantrate it... Current one is much better. But I like the emoji idea.

By having a separate panel open to show what emails are in the inbox, it forces the window for an opened email to squish, making it harder to read

• Heather commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The panel for viewing the selected email was too small. I tried expanding it horizontally and it made it shrink vertically. It wouldn't go back when I tried reversing what I did (I was able to shrink it back in the horizontal axis but it stayed just as small vertically). The whole view of the email was only a few inches by a few inches.

• jacknaj2@hotmail.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Expand the width of the email panel so you can read your email without having to slide horizontally, Narrow the vertical panel too cluttered

• Jo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The reading panel is too narrow. A wide email is impossible to read. I would prefer to switch the reading panel off, or at least be able to alter the width of the panels so that I can see the whole email.

• cdarl@hotmail.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When I want to view the email I'm looking it, because of the vertical layout of the list, the window to view the actual email I'm looking at is too small and I can't see the full email so have to scroll back and forth on the bar.

Make Reading field to larger and make it possible to open mail in own window in own window.

The reading area is so small that I need to use the horizontal scroll bars to read many of my emails. The previous design, where an email took up most of the width of the screen, was much better.

Not ideal for a small screen. I work from a smaller screen on my laptop and the much enlarged rows for each email makes it very hard to keep track of emails.
    I have already turned off the reading pane for exactly the same reason - way too many columns for a 15 inch screen.
    Each individual email doesn't need that much space per line. Could this be something that is responsive to screen size or could there be a "narrow line" option?

• Piyush Kshatriya commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Very small screen for composing new message and for inbox also.
    so i think there is need to improvement. so everyone can see mails comfortably.

Thanks.

I didn't find how to "really" open the e-mail I wanted to read : I had to read it in the right vertical panel, therefore in a space way too narrow. And it's the same problem to write an e-mail.
    I didnt search for very long though, but in my mind, an e-mail box should be easy to use...

• Ajay Lal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i can't find the 'send' button and the email window is too small. I can't seem to enlarge it.

when scrolling through messages - the actual window to read those messages was very small, displaying only a third of the width of the mail and little height. for quickly scanning through, not ideal.

• Doris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Window for reading or writing the emails is too small. I would like to have a proper view on my emails. Too much space is used for the folder-overview and then also for the email-list-overview.

The new Outlook.com: Search

Feedback and Knowledge Base