OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

Small message displaying area

The screen is divided into four parts where the message displaying area looks small, it feels congested to me. The round icon colour for the contacts can be darker so it would blend in with the UI. The fonts look good, spam filter is awesome, surfing speed is good, and ads on the right side is not that annoying till now for me.

388 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Aaron shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

First off, thank you for taking the time to provide feedback about your experiences with the new Outlook.com experience.

We have been working to adjust the experience based on all of your feedback. Since we have introduced some settings, I wanted to make sure you were all aware of them.

When you are signed in, you can click on the gear in the top right hand corner. From here it will load the quick settings pane. This pane will allow you to disable/enable features that will make it feel more like the old experience.

Specifically I want to call out the Reading Pane. The old experience had the reading pane defaulted to OFF. What I would recommend doing is trying to hide it and see if that helps improve your experience.

Hope this helps

David Los

208 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • L commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

the reading pane is still too small with the favourites/inbox section bigger than it needs to be.

• Kevin Duke commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Good afternoon. The layout does not work well. I do not like the preview of messages as it seems to be better for a much larger area. Please adjust.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When I click on an email, why in god's name does the email only take up 20% of the browser window? This format is such garbage.

• Isaac Cao commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The reading pane is smaller than before; please enlarge it because the text in e-mails have also become smaller and thus harder to read.

• Camille Bueno commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like the new layout but reading the emails in such a small window bothers a lot. Many windows are left open and I run out of space to read the email fluently.

• sean_mcdermott@hotmail.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The new layout is horrible. You can't use the reading pane. The emails that we use your service for are too small to read unless you click and open each message. I have been with Hotmail for many years. This layout is bad enough that I may close my account.

• Linda Swenski commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have a visual impairment and you have made the reading pane so small that I cannot see my mail. I will find a new provider.

• ffireblade@hotmail.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Preview pane has become so microscopic, one can hardly use it to preview emails! Previously, you didn't have to open emails because the preview pane was so good you could read most emails just in preview pane. What is the point of a preview if you can't preview in it??? Very poor!

• Gerald commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I prefer the older Outlook. The window for reading messages in Beta is too small, from what little I have seen.

• lianzhihui commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The mailbox interface is so non-user friendly... the most important part, the email content viewing part, is so slim that i always have to zoom in my page. and for the remaining parts, even the ad section on the very right side is larger than the email preview...I really wonder if anyone has the same complaint as i do.. sad:(

Please give us the ability to make the lower reading pane bigger. The maximum is not big enough.

email shrinks page to fit space, font size is so small I can't read the page

• lindabobg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why is there no way to adjust the size of the "reading pane"? Way too small.

• KatG commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes Turning off the reading panel this does help slightly, BUT I have Multiple email accounts sync'd to my main email and with the Reading Pane set to hide I just noticed that it does not separate the emails it groups them all together and this is not acceptable.

Plus I still have an issue with not being able to adjust ALL the text size so it's readable easier I have adjusted all the text size I can on my end but the email messages are still in some cases too small and would like to be able to adjust.

• [Deleted User] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

100% agree. Please, allow a "finger-expand" (whatever it's called) feature. USERVOICE needs a "search" box.
    This site is SO SLOW. Took forever to get this comment posted

• Ray Lyons commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I do not want to purchase Ad-free Outlook. I have Add Blocker Plus which works very well. How do I get rid of the Ad-free Outlook ad that covers more than 1/8 of my screen and clips off a portion of my emails in such a way that I can't read my whole emails? This is very frustrating. You claim you want to make Outlook more user friendly, and at the same time you make it difficult to use Outlook for it's main purpose...To Read Our Emails!

• Ray Lyons commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Outlook's ad for ad free Outlook on right side of screen blocks a portion of my email, preventing me from reading my entire email. How to we delete this ad?

• Kate commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The message is cut/hidden on the right side so it's not possible to read it quickly and action upon, you have to instead double-clik each message in order to read it.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 10 11

The new Outlook.com: Search

Feedback and Knowledge Base