OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

Preview Pane - Options to disable, resize and move locations

I am very fond of my privacy and am not happy about the fact that everything shows a preview. (even with the 'Hide reading pane' option selected) Please implement the option te let us choose wether or not we want our e-mails to be previewed!
e.g.: The first e-mail in my private inbox folder is an e-mail with pictures of a new bra my wife bought, of wich she is very proud.
When I then am sitting next to my coworker and open Outlook to show him the pictures of my fishing trip last weekend, my wife's new bra is not the catch I was hoping to show off to my coworker.

315 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

pj.stoffelen@hotmail.com shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks you very much for using outlook.com and for taking the time to provide all of the great feedback. I wanted to take a moment to let you know that there are now some additional options that should address the feedback in this posting.

1) You are now able to disable or enable the Reading Pane. This can be done right from the Quick Settings Menu. Just click the Gear in the top right

2) You are also able to change the location of the reading Pane. Instead of Just to the right you can also select on the bottom. Again this is found under the Gear menu in the top right.

3) Also, some folks have asked to make sure that no message is selected by default when you sign-in to Outlook.com. This setting is also an option.

To select that follow these steps:

Click the Gear in the Top Right

Scroll to the bottom of the Quick Settings Pane and select View all Outlook Settings

This should open the Full Settings and have Selected Mail and Layout. On the Layout portion scroll down to the Reading Pane section. There is an option called What do you want us to do when you sign in? Here you can select two options.

Hope this helps!

David Los

184 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Sirus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be very nice if pressing "Preview" on emails would actually just show the previewed email on that same screen. For example, I receive an email with a PDF and I want to view it while looking through whatever other emails I have. Clicking on Preview should instead take up the email's original space on the right rather than take away the email list and taking up the entire screen. Allows for smoother transitions (for example, the file had nothing of value, saves some time between exiting the preview and going back to our email list) as well as better efficiency (rather than bringing us to a new screen it just uses the same screen) And for people who don't like it, just make this choice an option that we can enable/disable.

• Sunil commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Preview pan - I want to be able to have my preview at the bottom and not at the side of my emails

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is just too cluttered and bulky to use. I want a side menu for organization, and the message list. No preview pane needed. No ugly, bulky right side block. Simple, clean, easy to use. NO THANKS on the "upgrade."

• horsewill@hotmail.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

completely agree - better to see more emails in the inbox rather than the preview with less mails (I end up deleting most of my emails without reading anyway)

I definitely don't like the preview pane. If I want to read an email, I'll click on it.

• Kien Phan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why does the preview pane attempt to shrink the whole email to fit into the panel? It scales it to an unreadable size compared to text in the Inbox.

Please fix.

• Margaret commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I found that it was too cluttered and I do not need to see a preview of each email (especially since I need to go through the junk mail too).
    Also I was getting advertising at the top of my inbox which also made it even more cluttered.

• Adam Pells commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

what is going on with the view/preview... i'm seeing so much more than just the email thread... CONFUSING!

• Matthew Pierre commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

as soon as my cursor moves over an email message, without clicking anything it previews on the reading pane and it is very annoying, and it reloads with cursor movement.

• Ramiro commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The preview of the message should be optional. It occupies a lot of margin within the screen. Sometimes they are old mails, I leave them in the inbox because they are reminders, I do not need to read what they say, I need to see them as in a list. One of the few things that Hotmail is better than Gmail is that with a quick view I can see which mails were answered and which ones were not (with an arrow indicating this). Do not ruin it! This arrow is too small in beta. Aclaración: yo hablo español. Este mensaje tuve que traducirlo previamente en Google Traductor para poder escribirlo acá.

• Ricardo Andrade commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In the beta version, the advertisement on my right-side screen consumed the preview area of messages that were once in the center, now they compete with the advertisements and I did not allow myself to easily read the message. My monitor is old with 1024x768 resolution, maybe this problem does not appear on 1280x720 or higher screens, I have not tested it. One possible solution is to leave the advertisements horizontally in the center but below the messages.

• Tiago Magnus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be very useful to be able to "hide" the preview-box that appears on the right/bottom side when you click an email (if you have the preview box checked on settings).

At this point there's nothing you can do to hide the preview of an email, except clicking another email or reloading the whole page, which both aren't very useful for this simple task. In normal Outlook, if you click on one of your folders, the preview is cleared.

Make a button to "clear" the preview pane, or make it so that clicking on a folder the preview is terminated.

• M. Saqib Shehzad commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am unable to open Email in full page preview . Thats why u are unable to read Email easily
    And i have returned back to old one Email preview

In BETA, the number of displayed emails is far too few, while their size has unnecessarily increased increased in order to provide a larger preview of the email. This gets in the way. I need to see more emails, not fewer. I need to see email recipients, subject lines, and the date. If there's room for a small preview, great. But if not, I do not care. In essence, BETA is putting less information on the screen. I need more information.

• Mauro Giacomet commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Outlook beta:
    Huh? Have message preview pane at the bottom... When replying to a message now two tabs show at the bottom... One wiht "Re:" where I'm writing the reply and another with "Fwd:" (apparently with the original message preview). This is unusual (and unnecessary) . Using Firefox 57

← Previous 1 3 4 5 9 10

The new Outlook.com: Spam

Feedback and Knowledge Base