OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

Block spam by IP address

We should be able to block specific IP addresses, as the scammers are flooding us with junk e-mails that have a bogus "sender address."

179 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Brady shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

23 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • roland.lemmer@outlook.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The outlook email address of my husband (roland.lemmer@outlook.com) is blocked since 1 week and it always refers to "usage limit exceeded". He has to have access to the email address because it is a extremely important part of his work.
    Obviously some criminals used his email address for scam messages. How can we secure the email address to exclude any incorrect use? Please help us today to sort the problem out. Thank you.

• SAinCA_55 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

TLD-blocking has LONG been requested. It's no good MS intercepting as SPAM, dumping the garbage in our SPAM folder, when the TLD (i.e., .club), is being used as a public spam-toilet, and WE cannot put a "DELETE THIS dot-club GARBAGE" Rule in place..... Yet again REQUESTING (nice wording) "APPLY RULES TO SPAM NOT JUST INBOX!"

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Allow blocking of domains by entering a range of IP addresses and/or allow users to block any emails when the authentication fails such as the following from an email's message source I received ( Authentication-Results: spf=fail (sender IP is 193.178.56.224)).

Why not have a block sender IP button on email or easy access.. (aka blocking spf=pass (sender IP is 66.220.31.89)

...that is what we have to do to block spammers. If someone is phising that IP should be able to be blocked and not the email as it might be a cloaked email you want to receive, it will make it a lot easier. Took me 10 minutes to block 5 emails... Could be a lot simpler, thanks

• Andreas Viasson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What on earth have you done with the exclusive filter that pushes all messages into the junkmail except from other than known and authorized to enter the inbox. This is rediculous. Outlook is really down the drain. You also need to reenable the pure text format and source so one can catch the IP's from the senders and block/forbid them at the source mail.

• Dawn Ackley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The instructions given below doe not work with IP addresses. I was given those directions by customer support and tried it, and when it didn't work they suggested I leave feedback here. What my previous comment said was I am getting p o r n with my own email address attached to it Please take care of this so we don't have to see filth with our own name on it. Thanks.

• Dawn Ackley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am getting **** and other garbage with my own email address attached to it, and the program refuses to block it because it has my own email address as the sender. Can you change the blocking filter to include the IP address, which will take care of this issue.

Why are we NOT allowed to see headers and report spammers? You SYSTEM is grossly inadequate for fighting SCAMMERS who own and rule the damned internet. Give me a menu OPTION in junk mail to VIEW RAW material ASCI or whatever it takes to get the IP of the SCAMMER's network for reporting originating IP. I want to be able to copy it WITHOUT the risk of malware and report it to SPAMCOP.

• xegiz hotmail commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

217.219.132.8 *** ad
    178.163.111.15 *** ad
    185.8.50.225 *** ad

please block these incessant spammers/or teach me how to block IP addresses.

why did you change me interface? you did not have permission to do so

• Sean commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

- Allow specified keywords to cover all areas of the email at once (Sender, Subject, Body)

- Allow domains to be blocked instead of just emails
    -- For example, blocking everything ending in: .club

- IP Address
    -- Allow any emails being sent from an IP or partial IP to be blocked

• [Deleted User] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Until Outlook programmers & developers come up with a fix for this, best recommendation is to manually BLOCK their IP address.

To do this follow these simple steps:

1. Select the spam email that you wish to block (without opening it(!)
    2. Right click on it & scroll down to choose “View Message Source”.
    4. On the Message Source Box, scroll it down until you find the “CMM-sender-Ïp” or "Sender IP
    5. Copy the IP address in the “CMM-sender-ip” or the “Sender IP”, then click “Close”
    6. Copy IP addresses into a *****doc to place later BLOCK sender list:
    7. After signing into Outlook on the web on the top of the page - select Settings >Options >Mail
    8. Under Junk Email - choose Blocked Senders
    9. Enter the IP address that you want to block in the “Enter a sender or domain here text box” Eg: Sender IP is ************ (ONLY enter "************") & then press Enter
    10. Select Save to retain your changes

Have Fun!

• Rach commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We should be able to block specific IP addresses, as the scammers are flooding us with junk e-mails that have a bogus "sender address."

Worse that that, and even more frustrating is that more and more emails are displayed in the junk folder as being from various senders (not yourself), but when you try to block the email you get a pop up message saying the email can't be blocked from {your email address}. It is bad enough for email accounts owned by adults, but when most of the messages are related to 'overnight billionaire', opportunities and winnings {that are unlikely to be anything other than a scam or links to virus/malware}, and 'adult content' ....
    .... the beta version has got a long way to go, including more options to block spam, better bulk deletion options, and more efficient system for creating rules.

When blocking emails, if its your email in the from address it says it can't block it. In the original version it will not prompt you and move on. Need to block it via senders ip.

• Joop Weijers commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Give more options to block spam. By name, ip, emailadress or something else what is usefull to block spam. It's very irritating.

• Joop Weijers commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Give more options to block spam. By name, ip, emailadress or something else what is usefull to block spam. It's very irritating.

← Previous 1

The new Outlook.com: Spam

Feedback and Knowledge Base