OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

reading pane

There should always be an option to have the reading pane below the message list. If there is not, I will no longer use hotmail. Of course, I only use it for my junk email now anyway as Inbox by Gmail fits my needs much better for email that I actually need.

147 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Curtis Wright shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

First off, thanks for all of the great feedback! I just wanted everyone to know that we have options to configure the reading pane in a variety of ways. Including Reading Pane Off, Reading Pane on Bottom, and reading pane on right.

To do this log into your outlook.com account and go into the Beta. From there you can select the Gear in the top right. The quick settings has the reading pane options.

hope this helps!

62 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • onyx welborne commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Reading pane on top, please. I'd like to have the message list on the bottom, and the reading pane on top of that. I know someone else asked about this and you gave instructions to change it, but that option does NOT work. Changing 'conversations' from new on bottom to new on top DOES NOT place the reading pane on top of the message list. The only options available are "reading pane on right" on "reading pane on bottom". Need more choices for themes.. some new winter themes would be a good start. Overall, this beta is a HUGE improvement. It very much reminds me of Outlook Express. Thank you! :)

• Bill F commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like to use the bottom reading pane with the option to click and open a selected email, but as far as I can tell there is no way to do that in the beta. Am I missing something?

• mikenco commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Completely agree. The three vertical columns doesn't work for me, even on a 26" screen!

I= <- this layout has been the norm for decades for a reason.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Previous version had a simple 'double-click on email' feature where it opened the email in a separate window.. they need to bring it back!!

• Debbie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In the Beta version, I don't like the automatic reading page feature. If I want to read an email, I'll open it. If you are going to use reading pages, give the user the ability to choose to close them. I couldn't find this anywhere, so I went back to the original version.

• Marian Bielik commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In 'hide reading pane mode', after selecting an email and then going back to the list of email, the email is still selected (highlighted), pls remove this selection (like it is in Gmail), otherwise it looks like a new message or new notification (or something that needs user action...).

• J. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes , I totally agree! Not being able to see an email in it's entirety is enough to put me back to the original.

A vertical reading pane for reading emails is not enough room to properly read the message. The option needs to be there like in all other versions of outlook.

The reading pane in confusing with all the adds next to it. I don't feel like I am seeing the message. I would like a separate window to open

• Bill Macquis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be really nice to see Reading Pane or ability layout changed so that we can choose to have horizontal orientation of message and reading pane rather that vertical. Like you can do in both the current online and desktop versions of Outlook.

• Lisa Smith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The option for only the right reading pane is frustrating. I'd like more options, including the lower reading pane where you simply have to click on a message and it shows up below without having to fully open it. That's less click to view. The righ reading pane isn't configured well enough to show a full message - you have to scroll right and up and down in order to see everything. Inefficient.

I'm having a problem with the reading pane being in a vertical panel down the side.
    I ALWAYS like reading from a horizontal panel below the list of emails.
    In the vertical panel doen the side I cannot see the whole messagefrom side to side so I not only have to use the up down scroll bar but the side to side one.
    I could not find a way to change this reading view in the settings.
    It is really annoying.

• Erin Aungst commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I really enjoy the new beta version, especially when I can pin items to the top, select all, un-select those items and delete the rest.

I have an issue, my reading pane is gone. I like to see all of my emails listed with the contents to the right. Why did my reading pane disappear all of a sudden? I have reviewed my settings and the "show reading pane" is selected.

Please advise.
    Thank you

• Rami Ghorab commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please provide a layout option to have the reading pane horizontally placed below the Messages List pane. Currently, the reading pane can only be displayed beside (vertically) the emails list which gives very little width to both. This was available in the previous version, Why did it disappear?

← Previous 1 3 4

The new Outlook.com: Spam

Feedback and Knowledge Base