OutlookUservoice_icon_outlook Outlook Feedback by UserVoice

The new Outlook.com

I would like the ability to select & delete multiple emails without reading them

Provide a check box for each email, as before.

1,130 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
Completed  ·  AdminPhilip Loh (Outlook Web Advocate, Outlook.com) responded  · 

December 2017: A checkbox has always been available in the message list for you to select multiple items with. Moving your mouse cursor over the colored circles that have sender pictures (on the left side in the message list), you will find an unfilled checkbox for you to check. You can perform multi-select actions this way, before deleting.

74 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • TC commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Let's say you want to delete the 10 most recent messages in your inbox. Mark the first one to delete then hold the shift key down and mark the tenth message to delete. The messages between one and ten will now be highlighted and you can delete those ten. I had to figure this one out because it is a nightmare to select one at a time.

• anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This sucks big time I used to be able to select multiple emails but not all of them. I do not like this version at all it is too time consuming.Change the select all to what i want eg page or 10 etc.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Where are the check mark boxes? It's maddening to have to wait until an email opens to be able to delete it, instead of just checking 5 or 6 and deleting them as a group.

• guard_drew@hotmail.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why is it so hard to select multipal items to delete. i can do it easy in gmail but with outlook you always endup opening one of the emails instead

Did Outlook just change (July 2018) to select all emails in box, vs. page by page? I am having difficulty selecting smaller bundles to delete. Not loving the changes.

Phillip is disconnected and not hearing us. Yes Phillip it was always there now in 2016 it is not unless you are using OWA..

• Leslie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The checkbox has disappeared in Outlook 2016. It's not a column option, or at least an obvious one, so I can't add it. How do I get it back?

Thank you.

• Erin Horton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The emails are struggling to load, so the check box only loads 12 at a time. It's incredibly inconvenient. I have a backlog of 1,000+ e-mails that I've read but not deleted, so I'd like it to be a feature where you can select whole pages of e-mails and mass-delete them.

It would be nice if there was a way to delete all emails received before a certain date in a folder instead of manually having to delete small numbers at a time by clicking on one, scrolling down and clicking on shift to select them. I have one folder that has collected thousands of emails over time because it takes so long to delete them. I want to keep the newer ones, so I can't just delete everything in the folder, which seems to be the only option other than manually selecting emails in smaller groups.

• Mr. Thomas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The list of emails disappear while scrolling and we are no longer able to delete all emails at one.

• m-fitzgerald commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When you first select the checkbox, it should not act like you've selected the message also.

• m-fitzgerald commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The problem is that when you select the first message, it is read. I would like to be able to select a message, without it opening in the window. When you select the checkbox, it should only 'select' the message, not open it.

• Alicia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Need to make it easier to delete emails in groups. In the regular version of Hotmail you can select a group of emails to delete simply by checking the box at the top of the column. The emails currently on screen are thus selected and you can delete as one group. Now when I check the box at the top to delete emails, ALL my emails are selected, not just the ones showing on screen... Please make it easier to delete.

• Anna commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Select one email without reading it nessesary too.
    Just stop opening emails at every click.

• sally socolich commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't enjoy outlook because of this issue--not being able to delete the whole inbox with one command or several checked emails.

← Previous 1 3 4

The new Outlook.com

Feedback and Knowledge Base